Boundary conditions in the time evolution of Spectral Method in PDE

In summary, the conversation discusses the struggle with using spectral methods to solve a heat equation in 2D. The individual is having trouble with implementing boundary conditions in the time-stepping process and is seeking advice and resources on how to do so. They mention using Chebyshev polynomials and suggest using homogenous spatial boundary conditions, but are unsure how to implement them. They also mention issues with the LaTeX formatting.
Leonardo Machado
TL;DR Summary
I need some help to implement a boundary condition to a 1D heat equation when dealing with it using spectral expansion.
Hi everyone!

I am studying spectral methods to solve PDEs having in mind to solve a heat equation in 2D, but now i am struggling with the time evolution with boundary conditions even in 1D. For example,

$$
u_t=k u_{xx},
$$
$$
u(t,-1)=\alpha,
$$
$$
u(t,1)=\beta,
$$
$$
u(0,x)=f(x),
$$
$$
u(t,x)=\sum^{N-1}_{n=0} a_n(t) T_{n}(x).
$$

T(x) is for Chebyshev polynomials.

I can easily create through MMT or FFT the spectral expansion for u(0,x), including the boundaries, to initiate the time-stepping via the first equation as,

$$
\sum^{N-1}_{n=0} \frac{da_n(t)}{dt} T_n(x)=\sum^{N-1}_{n=0} a^{(2)}_n(t) T_n(x).
$$

which implies in

$$
a_n(t+ \delta t)=k a_n(t)+a^{(2)}_n \delta t.
$$

But the point is.. how do i use the boundary conditions in the time-step? I can't find it in the bibliography.

I think that the usual thing to do would be use the boundary conditions as

$$
\sum^{N-1}_{n=0} a_n(t+\delta t) T_n(-1)=\sum^{N-1}_{n=0} a_n(t+\delta t)=\alpha,
$$

$$
\sum^{N-1}_{n=0} a_n(t+\delta t) T_n(1)=\sum^{N-1}_{n=0} a_n(t+\delta t)=\beta,
$$

but I'm not sure how to implement it in the time-stepping... Any suggestions? I would love to know a book that deals with it!

PS: I had problems using the caption in the LaTeX, the idex runs for n instead of N and t_N should be T_n! I don't know why it became like this.

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Leonardo Machado said:
Summary:: I need some help to implement a boundary condition to a 1D heat equation when dealing with it using spectral expansion.

Hi everyone!

I am studying spectral methods to solve PDEs having in mind to solve a heat equation in 2D, but now i am struggling with the time evolution with boundary conditions even in 1D. For example,

$$
u_t=k u_{xx},
$$
$$
u(t,-1)=\alpha,
$$
$$
u(t,1)=\beta,
$$
$$
u(0,x)=f(x),
$$
$$
u(t,x)=\sum^{N-1}_{n=0} a_n(t) T_{n}(x).
$$

T(x) is for Chebyshev polynomials.

I can easily create through MMT or FFT the spectral expansion for u(0,x), including the boundaries, to initiate the time-stepping via the first equation as,

$$
\sum^{N-1}_{n=0} \frac{da_n(t)}{dt} T_n(x)=\sum^{N-1}_{n=0} a^{(2)}_n(t) T_n(x).
$$

which implies in

$$
a_n(t+ \delta t)=k a_n(t)+a^{(2)}_n \delta t.
$$

But the point is.. how do i use the boundary conditions in the time-step? I can't find it in the bibliography.

I think that the usual thing to do would be use the boundary conditions as

$$
\sum^{N-1}_{n=0} a_n(t+\delta t) T_n(-1)=\sum^{N-1}_{n=0} a_n(t+\delta t)=\alpha,
$$

$$
\sum^{N-1}_{n=0} a_n(t+\delta t) T_n(1)=\sum^{N-1}_{n=0} a_n(t+\delta t)=\beta,
$$

but I'm not sure how to implement it in the time-stepping... Any suggestions? I would love to know a book that deals with it!

PS: I had problems using the caption in the LaTeX, the idex runs for n instead of N and t_N should be T_n! I don't know why it became like this.
Just a thought, but typically you'd want to make the spatial BCs homogenous, such as adding a linear solution to your guess. Know what I'm talking about?

1. What are boundary conditions in the context of time evolution of Spectral Method in PDE?

Boundary conditions refer to the conditions that must be satisfied at the edges or boundaries of a domain when solving a partial differential equation (PDE) using the Spectral Method. These conditions help to determine the behavior of the solution at the boundaries and are essential for obtaining accurate results.

2. Why are boundary conditions important in the time evolution of Spectral Method in PDE?

Boundary conditions are crucial in the time evolution of Spectral Method in PDE because they ensure that the solution is well-defined and unique. Without proper boundary conditions, the solution may not converge or may produce inaccurate results.

3. What types of boundary conditions are commonly used in the time evolution of Spectral Method in PDE?

The most commonly used boundary conditions in the time evolution of Spectral Method in PDE are Dirichlet, Neumann, and periodic boundary conditions. Dirichlet boundary conditions specify the value of the solution at the boundary, Neumann boundary conditions specify the derivative of the solution at the boundary, and periodic boundary conditions assume that the solution repeats periodically.

4. How do boundary conditions affect the accuracy of the solution in the time evolution of Spectral Method in PDE?

The choice of boundary conditions can significantly impact the accuracy of the solution in the time evolution of Spectral Method in PDE. If the boundary conditions are not chosen carefully, they may introduce errors into the solution, leading to inaccurate results. Therefore, it is essential to select appropriate boundary conditions that reflect the physical behavior of the problem being solved.

5. Can boundary conditions change over time in the time evolution of Spectral Method in PDE?

Yes, boundary conditions can change over time in the time evolution of Spectral Method in PDE. This is particularly useful for problems where the boundary conditions may vary with time, such as in fluid dynamics or heat transfer. In such cases, the boundary conditions must be updated at each time step to accurately model the behavior of the system.