Galois Extension of Q isomorphic to Z/3Z

by AlbertEinstein
Tags: extension, galois, isomorphic, z or 3z
Share this thread:
AlbertEinstein
Apr27-10, 02:35 AM
P: 113
Hi...

How do I construct a Galois extension E of Q(set of rational numbers) such that Gal[E,Q] is isomorphic to Z/3Z.

Thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
mrbohn1
Apr27-10, 02:45 PM
P: 97
There is a very good discussion of this on the wikipedia page on the inverse Galois problem.
ABarrios
Apr27-10, 05:20 PM
P: 23
Let d=cubic root of some number x s.t. d is not in Q. Then [Q(d):Q]=3 => o(Gal(Q(d)/Q))=3 and only group of order 3 is Z/3Z so you have your desired group.

mrbohn1
Apr28-10, 01:24 AM
P: 97
Galois Extension of Q isomorphic to Z/3Z

Quote Quote by ABarrios View Post
Let d=cubic root of some number x s.t. d is not in Q. Then [Q(d):Q]=3 => o(Gal(Q(d)/Q))=3 and only group of order 3 is Z/3Z so you have your desired group.
This is not necessarily true. For example, adjoining a primitive cube root of unity to Q generates a field extension of order 2. It is a bit more complicated than that, unfortunately!
ABarrios
Apr28-10, 07:30 AM
P: 23
Quote Quote by mrbohn1 View Post
This is not necessarily true. For example, adjoining a primitive cube root of unity to Q generates a field extension of order 2. It is a bit more complicated than that, unfortunately!
When I wrote the above I was thinking of x as a natural number or integer, in which case it should work as an example of a Galois group isomorphic to Z/3Z. But as for a complete generalization, I do not know of how to give it.
TMM
May2-10, 09:11 PM
P: 96
Consider the splitting field of any cubic polynomial with a perfect square discriminant. The root of the discriminant is rational, so it is fixed by all the Galois automorphisms. This means that there are no 2-cycles in the Galois group. If the polynomial is irreducible, then its Galois group is a nontrivial subgroup of S_3, hence is Z/3Z by eliminating all other possibilities.

Register to reply