The extension is Galois iff H_i is a normal subgroup of H_{i-1}

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between a finite Galois extension $E/F$ and a chain of extensions $F=K_0 \leq K_1 \leq \dots \leq K_n=E$. It is stated that for any $i \in \{1, \dots, n\}$, the extension $K_i/K_{i-1}$ is Galois if and only if the corresponding subgroups $H_i$ and $H_{i-1}$ are normal. The notes mention a proposition that states a similar relationship between a finite Galois extension $K/F$ and its corresponding subgroup $H$. The speaker wonders if this proposition can be applied to each extension in the chain. They
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

Let $E/F$ be a finite Galois extension and let the chain of extensions $F =
K_0 \leq K_1 \leq \dots \leq K_n = E$.

Let $G = Gal(E/F)$ and, for $i = 0, 1, \dots , n$, let $H_i$ be the subgroup of $G$, that corresponds to $K_i$ through the Galois mapping.

I want to show that, for any $i \in \{1, \dots, n\}$ it holds that the extension $K_i/K_{i−1}$ is Galois iff $H_i \triangleleft H_{i−1}$.
In my notes there is the following proposition:

$E/F$ is finite Galois
View attachment 6156
where $G=\text{Gal}(E/F)$

$K/F$ is normal (and so Galois) iff $H\triangleleft G$ (normal subgroup).
In this case we have the following:
View attachment 6157
right? (Wondering)

Can we just apply the above proposition for each $K_i/K_{i-1}$ ? (Wondering)

Attachments

• diag (2).PNG
    diag (2).PNG
    1.7 KB · Views: 48
  • diagg.png
    diagg.png
    1.9 KB · Views: 51
Physics news on Phys.org
mathmari said:
Can we just apply the above proposition for each $K_i/K_{i-1}$ ? (Wondering)
Or can we not just apply this proposition and we have to do something else? (Wondering)

1. What does it mean for an extension to be Galois?

For an extension to be Galois, it means that it is a field extension that is both normal and separable. This means that all the roots of the minimal polynomial of any element in the extension are contained within the extension, and that the extension is a splitting field for some polynomial over the base field.

2. How is the normality of subgroups related to Galois extensions?

The normality of subgroups is closely related to Galois extensions because it is a necessary condition for an extension to be Galois. Specifically, for an extension to be Galois, the Galois group must contain a normal subgroup, which is a subgroup that is invariant under conjugation by any element in the group.

3. What is the significance of H_i and H_{i-1} in this statement?

H_i and H_{i-1} represent two successive subgroups in the Galois group of the extension. The statement is saying that for an extension to be Galois, the Galois group must contain a normal subgroup H_i that is contained within the normal subgroup H_{i-1}.

4. How does this statement relate to the Fundamental Theorem of Galois Theory?

This statement is a part of the Fundamental Theorem of Galois Theory, which states that there is a one-to-one correspondence between intermediate fields of a Galois extension and normal subgroups of the Galois group.

5. Can this statement be applied to any field extension?

No, this statement only applies to Galois extensions. Other types of extensions, such as finite extensions or algebraic extensions, have different criteria for determining if they are Galois or not. This statement is specific to the Galois case.