Register to reply

Demonstrate that the derivative of the power series of e^x, it's its own power series

by xvtsx
Tags: demonstrate, derivative, power, series
Share this thread:
xvtsx
May8-10, 10:24 AM
P: 15
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
I need to demonstrate that [tex]\frac{\mathrm{d} }{\mathrm{d} x}\sum_{n=0}^{\infty }\frac{x^{n}}{n!}= \sum_{n=0}^{\infty }\frac{x^{n}}{n!}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations3. The attempt at a solution

I just need a hint on how to start this problem, so how would you guys start this problem?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Fungus deadly to AIDS patients found to grow on trees
Canola genome sequence reveals evolutionary 'love triangle'
Scientists uncover clues to role of magnetism in iron-based superconductors
Cyosis
May8-10, 11:06 AM
HW Helper
P: 1,495
Carry out the differentiation explicitly.
xvtsx
May8-10, 11:25 AM
Thanks for the quick reply, but I dont see how to take the derivative of the n factorial. could you please provide me with an example of how to do it?.Thanks

Cyosis
May8-10, 11:26 AM
HW Helper
Demonstrate that the derivative of the power series of e^x, it's its own power series

The n factorial is just a constant. The differentiation is with respect to x.
xvtsx
May8-10, 11:34 AM
Okay I just got a weird answer, which I think its wrong. [tex]\frac{\mathrm{d} }{\mathrm{d} x}=\frac{(n!)}{nx^{n-1}}[/tex] could you give some steps cause for me its weird to differentiate explicitly with n and factorial.
Cyosis
May8-10, 11:36 AM
HW Helper
Do you know how to differentiate x^n with n a constant? If so do you know how to differentiate constant*x^n? What if the constant equals 1/n!?
xvtsx
May8-10, 11:55 AM
okay. if the result its 1/n! how is that related to the power series?
Cyosis
May8-10, 11:57 AM
HW Helper
The result isn't 1/n!. I asked you three questions in post #6 and you avoided answering all three. If you want help you will need to cooperate.
xvtsx
May8-10, 12:09 PM
Oh sorry. The only thing I can say is this dx/dx= n(x^n-1)(1)/n!
Cyosis
May8-10, 12:15 PM
HW Helper
That is correct. Furthermore from the sum rule of differentiation you know that [itex](f(x)+g(x))'=f'(x)+g'(x)[/itex]. Therefore you can just interchange differentiation and summation. If you don't see it just write out the first few terms.
xvtsx
May8-10, 12:32 PM
Honestly, I dont see it. what should I consider f(x) and g(x) ? because I only see n(x^n-1)(1)/n! as f(x).Sorry if I cause you trouble..
Cyosis
May8-10, 12:39 PM
HW Helper
f and g are just two functions. You are dealing with a sum of more than two functions. Nevertheless the sum rule still applies in the same way and you can interchange differentiation and summation.

Register to reply