Register to reply

Solutions of a particular equation

by A-ManESL
Tags: equation, solutions
Share this thread:
A-ManESL
Jun23-10, 02:24 AM
P: 8
Hello all... I have a problem which I have been grappling with for some time. Let b be a positive integer and consider the equation z = x + y + b where x,y,z are variables. Suppose the integers {1,2,...4b+5} are partitioned in two classes. I wish to show that at least one of the classes contains a solution to the equation.

I have tried using induction on b. The case b = 1 has been solved entirely by me. But I cannot understand how to use the induction hypothesis to prove the result. The more I think of it, the more I feel that a different approach to the problem is needed, but I cant figure out what. It is sort of a special case of a research problem, which has been solved in a more general way. I have little experience of doing research on my own, and so will be glad if anyone can offer me any advice or hints. Thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Wildfires and other burns play bigger role in climate change, professor finds
SR Labs research to expose BadUSB next week in Vegas
New study advances 'DNA revolution,' tells butterflies' evolutionary history
disregardthat
Jun25-10, 10:56 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,742
A class C of {1,2,...,4b+5} contains a solution is equivalent to that x,y,z are elements of C ?
ramsey2879
Jun25-10, 08:42 PM
P: 894
Quote Quote by A-ManESL View Post
Hello all... I have a problem which I have been grappling with for some time. Let b be a positive integer and consider the equation z = x + y + b where x,y,z are variables. Suppose the integers {1,2,...4b+5} are partitioned in two classes. I wish to show that at least one of the classes contains a solution to the equation.

I have tried using induction on b. The case b = 1 has been solved entirely by me. But I cannot understand how to use the induction hypothesis to prove the result. The more I think of it, the more I feel that a different approach to the problem is needed, but I cant figure out what. It is sort of a special case of a research problem, which has been solved in a more general way. I have little experience of doing research on my own, and so will be glad if anyone can offer me any advice or hints. Thanks.
If you give us your solution for the case b = 1, maybe someone could generalize it for the other cases. Oddly with one less or one more variable, i.e. z = w+x + y +1 or z = x+1, there is a simple counterexample.

Register to reply