Basis for set of solutions for linear equation

In summary, the basis for the set of solutions for the linear equation $x+y-2z=0$ is the set of vectors $(-1,1,0)$ and $(2,0,1)$, which are both perpendicular to the normal vector of the plane represented by the equation. These vectors are also linearly independent and span the set of solutions, making them a basis for the set of solutions.
TheFallen018
[solved] Basis for set of solutions for linear equation

Hi,

I have this problem I was working through, but I'm not sure that I've approached it from the right way. The problem consists of 3 parts, which build off of each other. I'm pretty confident about the first two parts, but no so much for the third. Here's the problem

Consider the linear equation $x+y-2z=0$
A). Find all solutions of this equation in vector form:
B). Give two vectors that span the set of solutions:
C). Prove that those two vectors are linearly independent and hence give a basis for the set of solutions

The first part, I basically pointed out that y and z are free variables, and expressed them as such
$y=t$
$z=s$
$x=-t+2s$
Solutions given by $(-t+2s,t,s)$

Then the second part, I just split up that vector into two separate vectors:
$t(-1,1,0)+s(2,0,1)$

For the third part, I used a basic proof that two vectors in ${R}^{n}$ are linearly depended iff one vector is a scalar multiple of the other. Therefore they are linearly independent.

Here's where I'm really not sure about much at all. I basically used the initial system, and turned the two vectors in part 2 into linear equations.
$x+y-2z=0$
$-x+y=0$
$2x+z=0$
I then used these three systems to make a 3x3 matrix which I row reduced. It came out as a matrix with a unique solution, so I thought the basis would be $(1,0,0),(0,1,0),(0,0,1)$, or maybe the initial equations expressed as vectors $(1,1,-2),(-1,1,0),(2,0,1)$.

Though, I'm really not sure here, as these span ${R}^{3}$ and seem a little too broad for what we are after. Any help would be great. Thanks :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
TheFallen018 said:
Hi,

I have this problem I was working through, but I'm not sure that I've approached it from the right way. The problem consists of 3 parts, which build off of each other. I'm pretty confident about the first two parts, but no so much for the third. Here's the problem

Consider the linear equation $x+y-2z=0$
A). Find all solutions of this equation in vector form:
B). Give two vectors that span the set of solutions:
C). Prove that those two vectors are linearly independent and hence give a basis for the set of solutions

The first part, I basically pointed out that y and z are free variables, and expressed them as such
$y=t$
$z=s$
$x=-t+2s$
Solutions given by $(-t+2s,t,s)$

Then the second part, I just split up that vector into two separate vectors:
$t(-1,1,0)+s(2,0,1)$

For the third part, I used a basic proof that two vectors in ${R}^{n}$ are linearly depended iff one vector is a scalar multiple of the other. Therefore they are linearly independent.

Hi fallen angel,

It's all correct so far.

TheFallen018 said:
Here's where I'm really not sure about much at all. I basically used the initial system, and turned the two vectors in part 2 into linear equations.
$x+y-2z=0$
$-x+y=0$
$2x+z=0$
I then used these three systems to make a 3x3 matrix which I row reduced. It came out as a matrix with a unique solution, so I thought the basis would be $(1,0,0),(0,1,0),(0,0,1)$, or maybe the initial equations expressed as vectors $(1,1,-2),(-1,1,0),(2,0,1)$.

Though, I'm really not sure here, as these span ${R}^{3}$ and seem a little too broad for what we are after. Any help would be great. Thanks :)

The equation $x+y-2z=0$ represents a plane. Its normal vector is $(1,1,-2)$.
And you've found that $(-1,1,0)$ and $(2,0,1)$ are 2 independent vectors in that plane.
Note that they are both perpendicular to $(1,1,-2)$.

However, when we turn $(-1,1,0)$ into the equation $-x+y=0$, we're defining a new plane that is perpendicular to $(-1,1,0)$.
In other words $(-1,1,0)$ is not in that new plane.

Similarly the 3rd equation is yet another plane.
These 3 planes intersect each other uniquely in the origin.

I like Serena said:
Hi fallen angel,

It's all correct so far.
The equation $x+y-2z=0$ represents a plane. Its normal vector is $(1,1,-2)$.
And you've found that $(-1,1,0)$ and $(2,0,1)$ are 2 independent vectors in that plane.
Note that they are both perpendicular to $(1,1,-2)$.

However, when we turn $(-1,1,0)$ into the equation $-x+y=0$, we're defining a new plane that is perpendicular to $(-1,1,0)$.
In other words $(-1,1,0)$ is not in that new plane.

Similarly the 3rd equation is yet another plane.
These 3 planes intersect each other uniquely in the origin.

Hmm, ok, so I wasn't on the right path there. It seems after doing some research, that a basis is basically a linearly independent spanning set. Since in question 2 I showed that these vectors, ${(-1,1,0),(2,0,1)}$ span the set of solutions, and since I showed in the first part of question 3 that they are linearly independent, is it right to say that ${(-1,1,0),(2,0,1)}$ form a basis for the set of solutions? Thanks

TheFallen018 said:
Hmm, ok, so I wasn't on the right path there. It seems after doing some research, that a basis is basically a linearly independent spanning set. Since in question 2 I showed that these vectors, ${(-1,1,0),(2,0,1)}$ span the set of solutions, and since I showed in the first part of question 3 that they are linearly independent, is it right to say that ${(-1,1,0),(2,0,1)}$ form a basis for the set of solutions? Thanks

Yep. (Nod)

I like Serena said:
Yep. (Nod)

You're a legend. Thanks! :)

TheFallen018 said:
You're a legend. Thanks! :)
Oh don't tell him that! Now he's going to get the idea that he's good at what he does and that he's a better Mathematician than I am. And that's just crazy talk. (I've got the medication to know what that is.) (Nod)

-Dan

topsquark said:
Oh don't tell him that! Now he's going to get the idea that he's good at what he does and that he's a better Mathematician than I am. And that's just crazy talk. (I've got the medication to know what that is.) (Nod)

-Dan

It's too late.
I AM LEGENDARY! (Poolparty)

What is the basis for a set of solutions for a linear equation?

The basis for a set of solutions for a linear equation is the set of numbers or variables that satisfy the equation when substituted in for the variables. These numbers or variables represent the values that make the equation true.

How do you determine the basis for a set of solutions for a linear equation?

To determine the basis for a set of solutions for a linear equation, you can use various methods such as substitution, elimination, or graphing. These methods involve manipulating the equation in order to find the values that satisfy it.

Can a set of solutions for a linear equation have more than one basis?

No, a set of solutions for a linear equation can only have one basis. This is because the basis represents the minimum number of independent solutions that can be used to express all other solutions in the set.

Why is the basis for a set of solutions for a linear equation important?

The basis for a set of solutions for a linear equation is important because it helps to simplify and organize the solutions to the equation. It also allows for easier manipulation and calculation of the solutions.

What is the relationship between the basis and the number of solutions for a linear equation?

The basis for a set of solutions for a linear equation is directly related to the number of solutions. The number of solutions will always be equal to or less than the number of elements in the basis. This means that the basis can provide a way to determine the number of solutions for an equation.