Register to reply

Astrophotography photos

by Phobos
Tags: astrophotography, photos
Share this thread:
Stanwyck66
Jul3-10, 02:11 PM
P: 20
I just moved to the DC area and took my scope out for the first time..this is the best Jupiter I've taken so far. I darkened it a little to see more detail and color.
Attached Thumbnails
Jupiter.jpg  
Mikeral
Jul12-10, 10:31 PM
P: 6
Hello astrophotographers
I am new to the whole domain and just posted my first shots on youtube, i shot a couple short passes of stars with a webcam (logitech C200) and my telescope (Link). Anyway, if anyone has any tips for me, would be nice to hear some, mind you i don't have a big budget for equipment, university tuition ftw. I'm mostly looking for tips on noise reduction and better image quality. i have a mac, for any software related issues, which tends to be very picky.
Chronos
Jul13-10, 12:22 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,435
yes, lxd75-sn10. optical tube is a bit heavy for mount, but, am juicing it up. i am a mechanical engineer so [perhaps mistakenly] assume i can manage the task. my observing area is fenced and surrounded by trees. i can only view about half the sky, but, wind is rarely an issue. i put diy wilcox rings on tube for convenience. handles are still hillbilly, but, working on that.
mikeph
Jul14-10, 12:34 PM
P: 1,212
Hi all again.

Was just wondering what this object is in the night sky.

I took a photo with it on a wide angle lens, it caught my eye as something much brighter than any star, and it did not twinkle so I believe it might have been a planet!
When I zoomed in I thought "no star can be this circular" - the angular size is too big, right?

Also I think it might be interesting to note the "sunstars" that I got out of the camera from the road lights are not also present on this object- why? It was taken at wide angle of 15mm (35mm equivalent), with a 6 second exposure on f/22.

The location was the Canary Isles, 24th June, and the direction of the object is pretty much dead west.

400x zoom

Please tell me it's Mars!
russ_watters
Jul14-10, 04:52 PM
Mentor
P: 22,287
Quote Quote by MikeyW View Post
Hi all again.

Was just wondering what this object is in the night sky.

Please tell me it's Mars!
Sorry: Venus.

Also sorry, but that pic doesn't show the disk, it is just blown-out and/or out of focus. At that resolution, the disk would probably be just a little less than a pixel across.....it would also be a fat crescent shape. Venus has phases!
Also I think it might be interesting to note the "sunstars" that I got out of the camera from the road lights are not also present on this object- why?
I'm not sure what you mean - could you rephrase?
chemisttree
Jul14-10, 06:56 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 3,724
I think he means diffraction spikes. Likely from an effects filter on his camera or its coming from the iris. He is stopped down to f22! Some of that is his wide angle lens which I believe acts like a focal reducer. He probably doesn't have a round iris at that f stop. I'm thinking it is a hexagonal shape.

You won't see those spikes on any but the brightest objects. If you had a tracking mount and cropped it to exclude the foreground and focused venus to a tiny point (half moon shaped thing) and increased your shutter speed to 1 minute, you would likely see it.
russ_watters
Jul14-10, 08:19 PM
Mentor
P: 22,287
That makes sense - I agre with all of that. I also didn't notice before, but now that I'm looking for it, Venus is noticeably hexagonal in that picture.....except that no camera would need 1 minute of exposure. I have imaged Saturn at f50 and use about a .1 sec exposure. That's a little too much magnification, so most of my planetary imaging is done at f25, with ~1/30th second exposures.
chemisttree
Jul15-10, 12:07 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
Yes, shorter speeds are needed for range and detail but if it is the spikes you want instead, longer times would exaggerate that. He is already using a 6 second exposure and the spikes are only faintly there.

BTW, I'm going to take back my "focus Venus to a tiny point" recommendation. At that f number what he has is likely the best focus he can achieve. Any bluriness is most likely due to seeing.

That is a very nice picture, MikeyW! Just like a postcard.
mikeph
Jul15-10, 02:54 AM
P: 1,212
Thanks! I waited for a good hour for the right lighting. It's just a shame I didn't have my longer lens, I might have been able to get some resolution with a 200mm lens- although I don't know how I would have kept the camera still.

I took a similar photo handheld at about f/5.6, 1/30 second exposure and it was just a big blurry line, so I imagine at a large zoom I will need even more light.

You're right about the diaphragm blades, there are 6 which are slightly curved so at f/22 it is probably 80% hexagon, 20% sphere.
FawkesCa
Jul23-10, 09:56 PM
P: 44
ten points if you can figure out how i took this pic of Mars. (hint: i did cheat, but i DID take this with my own camera)
Attached Thumbnails
cell 039.jpg  
FawkesCa
Jul23-10, 09:59 PM
P: 44
and just for kicks, ill throw this in with it
Attached Thumbnails
cell 045.jpg  
adyarbakery
Jul25-10, 06:06 PM
P: 1
hi,

I took these photos of the sky from Yosemite.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/adyarbakery/4827577169/

I found that there were streaks on the image - which could be a planet, comet or a meteor. I know it is not a planet (I checked on stellarium for that). However I can not figure out if it is a comet or a planet. These are 8 second exposures. Any idea if it is a comet or a meteor?

I tend to gravitate towards it being a comet, since it was in the sky for an extended period of time (photographs taken after 5 minutes later also showed the streak).

Any ideas how to figure out?

thanks,
ab
Aug10-10, 09:46 PM
P: 2
Quote Quote by adyarbakery View Post
hi,

I took these photos of the sky from Yosemite.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/adyarbakery/4827577169/

I found that there were streaks on the image - which could be a planet, comet or a meteor. I know it is not a planet (I checked on stellarium for that). However I can not figure out if it is a comet or a planet. These are 8 second exposures. Any idea if it is a comet or a meteor?

I tend to gravitate towards it being a comet, since it was in the sky for an extended period of time (photographs taken after 5 minutes later also showed the streak).

Any ideas how to figure out?

thanks,
ab
Hello.
It is probably neither. Firstly, the trail in the first picture is curved and it has distinct dotted pattern. Secondly, the object appears to be moving towards (or perhaps from?) the constellation Perseus throughout the gallery. None of them look like or behave like that. My bet would be a man-made object flashing at ~1s intervals (since the are around 7 light pulses in each photo and your exposures are 8s).
Aug10-10, 11:40 PM
P: 2
I've been lucky tonight and managed to snap a perseid :). On the left side you can see constellations Perseus and a bit of Cassiopeia, the Double Cluster, M31 is visible as well (near the center of the image). The gradient present is a glow of a city. Photo details: taken by Sony Alpha 100, 30s exposure, f/5, 100 iso, location: Brno, Czech republic
Attached Thumbnails
pers1182010.jpg  
Caramon
Aug15-10, 02:49 PM
P: 133
Hey guys!
I currently have a Dobsonian XT8 Classic (8" Aperature) telescope and I do regular observing at least once a week. I own a set of Celestron lenses and filters so my gear is decent! I have been observing for a few months now and I've gotten to take a wonderful look at the Orion Nebula (M42), Jupiter, M22, among many other objects. I've recently become interested in Astrophotography and was wondering how I would be able to start. What equipment and necessary skills would be required to begin a life long journey in Astrophotography? If you would be able to explain some things about Astrophotgraphy or post some links for me to read that would be wonderful!

This was my first moon photo taken with a digital camera:
chemisttree
Aug20-10, 04:20 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
I took this photo early this morning using an IR pass filter on a SPC900NC webcam. The moons are, from top to bottom, Ganymede, Io and Europa. Too bad there was no GRS visible.
Attached Thumbnails
Jupiter 8-20-10_0000 Jupiter and Moons in IR.jpg  
Stanwyck66
Aug21-10, 12:35 AM
P: 20
I was out poking around in the sky last night and noticed a small spot on Jupiter I hadn't noticed before. The spot seemed a bit too small to be the GRS and looked like a dark point in my scope. Unfortunately, it didn't show up in the photograph but appeared where the arrow ends in this image.

Could it be possible I saw the shadow of one of Jupiter's moons to the bottom left?
Attached Thumbnails
Jupiter.jpg  
Chronos
Aug21-10, 01:21 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,435
er, any picture with clouds and blue in the background are probably not mars.

Register to reply