Quantum Mechanics postulate

by PAPquestions
Tags: mechanics, postulate, quantum
Share this thread:
PAPquestions
Sep20-10, 09:31 PM
P: 2
Hi I am new here and also new to QM.

I have encountered a problem about postulate 2 which is the superposition principle. Basically I understand the concept. However, when it comes to real question, I get stuck and can't proceed. Could anyone enlightens me how to get started with the problem below?

Question:
A psi(x) = [psi(x)]^2

Is A a linear operator? Is A a Hermitian?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Step lightly: All-optical transistor triggered by single photon promises advances in quantum applications
The unifying framework of symmetry reveals properties of a broad range of physical systems
What time is it in the universe?
PAPquestions
Sep21-10, 01:13 AM
P: 2
Heh, I found the way to solve it already!
arkajad
Sep21-10, 02:53 AM
P: 1,411
BTW: You should start using the notation [tex](A\psi )(x)[/tex] instead of [tex]A\,\psi(x)[/tex]. It will help you to understand better the mathematical operations involved.

[tex](A\psi )(x)[/tex] reads: the value of the function [tex]A\psi[/tex] at the point x.

Operators act on functions (as objects) and not on values of these functions (numbers).

Register to reply