Register to reply

Surface temperature to Atmospheric temp.

by droseph
Tags: atmospheric, surface, temp, temperature
Share this thread:
droseph
Sep28-10, 07:47 PM
P: 1
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
The surface temperature of a city is 20 degrees celsius. What is the temperature at 2 km above the surface if the temperature decreases at "half the average rate" of the troposphere? Show your calculations.

2. Relevant equations
None really, it may be just simple math.

3. The attempt at a solution
rate = 20 degrees / 2 km = 10 degrees loss / km and it says half of that so it would be 5 degrees loss per km. My answer would be 10 degrees celsius @ 2 kms.

I don't know if that's right? Thanks for helping
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Hoverbike drone project for air transport takes off
Earlier Stone Age artifacts found in Northern Cape of South Africa
Study reveals new characteristics of complex oxide surfaces
alphysicist
Sep30-10, 10:40 AM
HW Helper
P: 2,249
Hi droseph,

Quote Quote by droseph View Post
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
The surface temperature of a city is 20 degrees celsius. What is the temperature at 2 km above the surface if the temperature decreases at "half the average rate" of the troposphere? Show your calculations.

2. Relevant equations
None really, it may be just simple math.

3. The attempt at a solution
rate = 20 degrees / 2 km = 10 degrees loss / km and it says half of that so it would be 5 degrees loss per km. My answer would be 10 degrees celsius @ 2 kms.

I don't know if that's right? Thanks for helping
If that rate for the troposphere (10 degrees/km) is what you should be using, then the rest looks right to me.

Register to reply