Heat Transfer: Effect of a Heat Fin

In summary, the conversation discusses incorporating a fin into a heat transfer problem with various thermal resistances. The key quantities and equations are provided, and two possible approaches for calculating the heat loss from the fin are discussed. The conversation ultimately concludes that using the expression for the heat transferred from the fin to derive a thermal resistance and swapping it out for the outer convective resistance is the best approach.
Master1022
Homework Statement
What is the change in heating loss after adding the balcony to the 400 apartments?
Relevant Equations
Heat Transfer Equations
Hi,

I was recently attempting the following problem from heat transfer and I didn't really know how to include the fin amongst the other thermal resistances in the problem.

Screen Shot 2020-10-01 at 20.28.29.png

The key quantities are: ## T_{in} = 20 C ##, ## T_{out} = -5 C ##, ## h_{inner} = 5 W m^{-2} K^{-1} ##, ## h_{outer} = 15.75 W m^{-2} K^{-1} ##, ## t_{wall} = 0.3 m ##, ## t_{balcony} = 0.2 m ##, ## Width_{balcony} = 4 m ##, ## L_{balcony} = 2 m ##

In a previous part of the question, we derived the following equation for the temperature distribution of a heat fin with a base temperature of ## T_0 ## which was in surroundings of temperature ## T_{\infty} ## and the fin is insulated at the end (## x = L ##):
$$ T(x) - T_{\infty} = (T_0 - T_{\infty}) (cosh(mx) - tanh(mL) sinh(mx)) $$
where ## m^2 = \frac{hP}{k A_s} ## (## P ## is the perimeter of the fin and ## A_s ## is the cross sectional area; the other two symbols are the same as definitions above)

We used that equation to find out that the total heat transferred away from the fin was (the equation above is correct, but this following part is only my working, there is no solution to compare it against):
$$ -k \frac{\partial T}{\partial x} |_{x = 0} = km (T_0 - T_{\infty})tanh(mL) $$

My approach:
1. Work out the heat transferred for 1 balcony
We can work out the total thermal resistances as they add in series:
$$ R_{total} = \frac{1}{h_i} + \frac{t}{k} + \frac{1}{h_o} = \frac{1}{5} + \frac{0.3}{1.5} + \frac{1}{15.75} = 0.4634... m^2 K^{-1} W^{-1} $$

Thus, ## Q = U A \Delta T = \frac{1}{0.4634} \cdot (4 \cdot 0.3) \cdot (20 - (-5)) = 63.738... W ##

We can scale that up by 400 later on to get the 'total' heat loss.

2. Now for the scenario where we have the balcony
As above: ## A_s = 0.3 \cdot 4 = 1.2 metres^2 ##, ## m = \sqrt{\frac{hP}{kA_s}} = \sqrt{\frac{15.75 \cdot (4 + 4 + 0.3 + 0.3)}{(1.5) \cdot (1.2)}} = 8.6746 ##

Now I am a bit stuck as to what to do... These are my current ideas:
Idea 1:
Use ## km (T_0 - T_{\infty})tanh(mL) ## to get the heat loss from the fin. However, we know ## T_{\infty} ##, but not the base temperature ## T_0 ##. We could calculate ## T_0 ## either by assuming that it is the internal temperature (20 deg C), which seems like too much of an approximation. Otherwise, would it be correct do some sort of 'potential divider' equivalent using the thermal resistances to work out the temperature on the outer surface of the wall? With that information, we could evaluate the above expression and then use it?

Idea 2:
Try and use the expression for the heat transferred from the fin to derive a thermal resistance, such as:
$$ R_{th} = \frac{Driver}{Flux} = \frac{\Delta T}{Q} = \frac{1}{km \cdot tanh(mL)} $$ (the dimensions look correct to me) and then use this thermal resistance in the following way (i.e. swapping it out for the outer surface convective transfer term):
$$ R_{total} = \frac{1}{h_i} + \frac{t}{k} + \frac{1}{km\cdot tanh(mL)} = \frac{1}{5} + \frac{0.3}{1.5} + \frac{1}{(1.5 \cdot 8.6746) \cdot tanh(8.6746 \cdot 2)} = 0.47685... m^2 K^{-1} W^{-1} $$
which is a slight increase than the scenario without the balcony.

Thus ## Q = UA \Delta T = \frac{1}{0.4768} \cdot (4 \cdot 0.3) \cdot (20 - (-5)) = 62.919 W ##
I can then go on to calculate ratios and scale up for 400 balconies

Do any of those ideas seems like the best way to calculate the incorporate the fin into the heat transfer equations?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would use idea 2.

Likes Master1022
Chestermiller said:
I would use idea 2.
Thank you @Chestermiller for the response. Just a quick follow up question: why can I ignore the outer convective thermal resistance and swap it out with the equivalent resistance for the fin? Is it because we are just considering the area on the wall over which the fin is placed (thus there won't be any convective losses on the outer wall in that region as the fin is covering it up) and our effective thermal resistance of the fin will include all conductive and convective losses from the fin?

Thanks

Master1022 said:
Thank you @Chestermiller for the response. Just a quick follow up question: why can I ignore the outer convective thermal resistance and swap it out with the equivalent resistance for the fin? Is it because we are just considering the area on the wall over which the fin is placed (thus there won't be any convective losses on the outer wall in that region as the fin is covering it up) and our effective thermal resistance of the fin will include all conductive and convective losses from the fin?

Thanks
The outer convective resistance was included in the derivation of the fin temperature profile equation.

• Informative
Likes Master1022
Chestermiller said:
The outer convective resistance was included in the derivation of the fin temperature profile equation.

Thank you for the clarification!

1. What is heat transfer and how does it relate to heat fins?

Heat transfer is the movement of thermal energy from one object to another. Heat fins are devices designed to increase the rate of heat transfer by increasing the surface area for heat to be transferred from. This is achieved through the use of extended surfaces, such as fins, attached to the surface of a heat conducting material.

2. How does the shape and size of a heat fin affect heat transfer?

The shape and size of a heat fin can greatly impact the rate of heat transfer. A larger surface area will result in a higher rate of heat transfer, as there is more area for heat to be transferred from. Additionally, certain shapes, such as triangular or rectangular fins, can increase the efficiency of heat transfer by creating turbulence in the air flow around the fin.

3. What materials are commonly used for heat fins?

Heat fins are typically made from materials with high thermal conductivity, such as aluminum, copper, or steel. These materials allow for efficient transfer of heat from the fin to the surrounding environment.

4. How does the temperature difference between the fin and the surrounding environment affect heat transfer?

The larger the temperature difference between the fin and the surrounding environment, the greater the rate of heat transfer. This is because heat naturally flows from hotter objects to cooler objects, so a larger temperature difference creates a greater driving force for heat transfer.

5. What are some practical applications of heat fins?

Heat fins are commonly used in a variety of heating and cooling systems, such as radiators, air conditioners, and refrigerators. They are also used in electronic devices to dissipate heat and prevent overheating. Additionally, heat fins are used in industrial processes, such as in heat exchangers, to transfer heat between different fluids.