Calculate the avg speed phyics help

by deaninator
Tags: phyics
Share this thread:
deaninator
Sep26-10, 06:15 PM
P: 64
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A caiman swims 190 meters at a speed of 6 m/s. It then enters a stream and slows to 4 m/s for 340 meters. What is the average speed of the crocodile?
10 minutes ago - 4 days left to answer.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Flapping baby birds give clues to origin of flight
Prions can trigger 'stuck' wine fermentations, researchers find
Socially-assistive robots help kids with autism learn by providing personalized prompts
AC130Nav
Sep26-10, 06:42 PM
P: 153
Quote Quote by deaninator View Post
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A caiman swims 190 meters at a speed of 6 m/s. It then enters a stream and slows to 4 m/s for 340 meters. What is the average speed of the crocodile?
10 minutes ago - 4 days left to answer.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
You have two distance and speed sets from which you can get times. Add the times and add the distances, now you have a new r = D/t.
deaninator
Sep26-10, 06:50 PM
Quote Quote by AC130Nav View Post
You have two distance and speed sets from which you can get times. Add the times and add the distances, now you have a new r = D/t.
I did that. I added 190m and 340m and I got 530m as the total distance. I did the v=d/t formula on both distances and i got the times as 85 s and 31.66 s. I then divided 530m.116.66 s and i got 4.54 m/s but that is incorrect.

AC130Nav
Sep27-10, 06:49 AM
P: 153
Calculate the avg speed phyics help

Quote Quote by deaninator View Post
I did that. I added 190m and 340m and I got 530m as the total distance. I did the v=d/t formula on both distances and i got the times as 85 s and 31.66 s. I then divided 530m.116.66 s and i got 4.54 m/s but that is incorrect.
Your numbers appear correct.
deaninator
Oct1-10, 09:50 PM
Thanks, you were right all along!

Register to reply