Help with question on motion: Avoiding a rear-end collision

Physics_is_beautiful
Homework Statement
The question : A car and a truck are both traveling with a constant speed of 20 m/s. The car is 10 m behind the truck. The truck driver suddenly applies his brakes, causing the truck to slow to a stop at the constant rate of 2 m/s2. Two seconds later, the driver of the car applies their brakes and just manages to avoid a rear-end collision. Determine the constant rate at which the car slowed.
Relevant Equations
basic S,U,T,A,V equations
The question : A car and a truck are both traveling with a constant speed of 20 m/s. The car is 10 m behind the truck. The truck driver suddenly applies his brakes, causing the truck to slow to a stop at the constant rate of 2 m/s2. Two seconds later, the driver of the car applies their brakes and just manages to avoid a rear-end collision. Determine the constant rate at which the car slowed.

How I tried to solve it :
--> if truck decelerates at 2 m/s^2, then it covers s = ut+0.5at^2 distance by the time it stops.
= (20)(10)+(0.5)(-2)(100)
= 100m

--> however, the car is 10m behind the truck, thus the car travels 110m ( for the sake of calculation, we assume that 'nearly collide' = occupying the same space, as without the length of the truck, it's not feasible to calculate the distance for 'nearly colliding'.)

--> Therefore, we now know that the car decelerates at some speed, in some time, covering 110-40m = 70m (as the car starts decelerating 2 seconds after) before coming to a stop.

--> next, using avg speed = (v+u)/2 = 20/2 = 10m/s,
we calculate the time taken by :
time = 70m/10 m/s = 7s

--> Thus, we now calculate for a by a = (v-u)/t
= -20/7
= -2.8 ms^-2

However, when checking the answer script, the answer was given as -3.33 ms^-2
acceleration.

I then tried solving using v^2 = u^-2as, only to get - 2.8 approx. as the acceleration.

I then attempted to solve it by adding in the length of an average truck ( approx = 8.5m), substitute into formula, to get

0 = 400-123a
leading to a = -3.3

However, Had this been the case, they would have given the length of truck in the question, so I doubted this would be the correct solution.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The car has 8 seconds to travel 70 meters, starting at 20 m/sec?

Physics_is_beautiful said:
( for the sake of calculation, we assume that 'nearly collide' = occupying the same space, as without the length of the truck, it's not feasible to calculate the distance for 'nearly colliding'.)
Yes, but the distance between the vehicles is from rear of truck to front of car, so length of either vehicle is irrelevant.

--> Therefore, we now know that the car decelerates at some speed, in some time, covering 110-40m = 70m (as the car starts decelerating 2 seconds after) before coming to a stop.
--> next, using avg speed = (v+u)/2 = 20/2 = 10m/s,
Agree up to here, sort of. This is the calculation of how far the car will move before coming to a stop, but the collision doesn't occur at that point if the plan is to stop there. The car must brake hard enough to be zero distance from the truck when the two match speeds.

we calculate the time taken by :
time = 70m/10 m/s = 7s
This is assuming an answer to the question asked, and a wrong one at that.
How long does the car have to come to a stop once the brakes are applied?
Better question: How long does it have to match speed with the truck once the brakes are applied?
The answer is the shorter time of the two.

Last edited:
covering 110-40m = 70m (as the car starts decelerating 2 seconds after) before coming to a stop.
You are making an unjustified assumption about the possible ways a collision might occur.

Likes nasu
= -20/7
= -2.33 ms^-2
But 20/7 = 2.8 approx., not 2.33!

However, when checking the answer script, the answer was given as -3.33 ms^-2
acceleration.

I then tried solving using v^2 = u^-2as, only to get - 2.8 approx. as the acceleration.

So your 2 methods agree (as they should!). I think -2.8m/s² (approx.) is correct and the officiaL answer (-3.33m/s²) is wrong. But no one else has suggested this, so maybe I'm missing something.

Edit. The reason why -2.8m/s² is wrong is that it assumes that the car just avoids collision with the stationary truck. But you need to make sure that the car doesn't hit the truck while the truck is still decelerating. @haruspex hinted at this in Post #4

Last edited:
Likes Chestermiller
Steve4Physics said:
maybe I'm missing something.
Avoiding the vehicle in front involves more than merely coming to rest at the same point.

haruspex said:
Avoiding the vehicle in front involves more than merely coming to rest at the same point.
Yes - I'd already edited my post.

1. What is a rear-end collision?

A rear-end collision occurs when one vehicle crashes into the back of another vehicle. It is one of the most common types of car accidents.

2. How can I avoid a rear-end collision?

To avoid a rear-end collision, it is important to maintain a safe following distance from the vehicle in front of you. This will give you enough time to react if the vehicle suddenly stops. It is also important to pay attention to the road and any potential hazards, and to avoid distractions while driving.

3. What is the recommended following distance?

The recommended following distance is at least 3 seconds. This means that you should maintain a distance of at least 3 seconds between your vehicle and the vehicle in front of you. You can determine this by picking a stationary object on the side of the road and counting the seconds between when the vehicle in front of you passes it and when you pass it.

4. What should I do if I am about to be rear-ended?

If you are about to be rear-ended, you should try to steer your vehicle towards an open space to avoid a collision. You can also flash your brake lights to warn the driver behind you. If you have enough time, you can also honk your horn to get their attention. After the collision, make sure to pull over and exchange information with the other driver.

5. Are there any technology or safety features that can help prevent rear-end collisions?

Yes, there are several technology and safety features that can help prevent rear-end collisions. These include automatic emergency braking, lane departure warning, and adaptive cruise control. It is important to research and understand the capabilities and limitations of these features before relying on them while driving.