Complete Radioactive Decay Equations and Identify Types

In summary, a complete radioactive decay equation represents the transformation of an unstable atom into a more stable form and includes the atomic symbol, number, and mass of the initial and final elements, and the type and amount of radiation emitted. The type of decay can be identified by the type of radiation emitted, including alpha, beta, and gamma decay, as well as other types. To balance the equation, the sum of atomic and mass numbers must be equal on both sides. Understanding these equations is important for predicting radiation emissions and understanding the stability and potential uses of different elements.
pat666

Homework Statement

complete the following decay equations by inserting the missing particle or nuclide information. Identify each type of decay.

see attached screenshot please.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've done all of the decays but we have to label them and I'm not sure what iv would be called.

Thanks

Attachments

• PFdecay.png
    PFdecay.png
    18 KB · Views: 427
Physics news on Phys.org
It's called "fission".

ok thanks, I called the rest
i) Beta Decay
ii)Beta Decay (positron emission)
iii) Alpha Decay
iv)
v) gamma decay (annihilation)
I was'nt sure about the last one and can you see any problems with the rest??

THANKS

1. What is a complete radioactive decay equation?

A radioactive decay equation is a representation of the process by which an unstable atom or nucleus transforms into a more stable form. It includes the atomic symbol, atomic number, and mass number of the initial and final elements, as well as the type and amount of radiation emitted during the decay process.

2. How do you identify the type of decay in a radioactive decay equation?

The type of decay in a radioactive decay equation can be identified by the type of radiation emitted. Alpha decay involves the emission of an alpha particle, beta decay involves the emission of a beta particle, and gamma decay involves the emission of a gamma ray. Other types of decay include positron emission, electron capture, and spontaneous fission.

3. What are the different types of radioactive decay?

The different types of radioactive decay include alpha decay, beta decay, gamma decay, positron emission, electron capture, and spontaneous fission. Each type of decay involves the emission of different particles or rays and results in the formation of a more stable element.

4. How do you balance a complete radioactive decay equation?

To balance a complete radioactive decay equation, the sum of the atomic numbers and mass numbers on both sides of the equation must be equal. This can be achieved by adjusting the number of particles or rays emitted during the decay process.

5. Why is it important to understand complete radioactive decay equations?

Understanding complete radioactive decay equations is important for several reasons. It allows us to predict the type of radiation emitted during a decay process, which can have significant health and environmental implications. It also helps us understand the stability and half-life of different elements, as well as their potential uses in various fields such as medicine and energy production.