Radioactive decay of Uranium 238

In summary, the rock sample is estimated to be around 738 million years old based on the radioactive decay of 238U into 206Pb. The calculation involved converting the mass of uranium and lead to their respective number of particles and using the radioactive decay formula with the correct value for λ, which is ln(2)/half-life.
Portuga

Homework Statement

Analyzing a rock sample, it is found that it contains 1.58 mg of 238U and 0.342 mg of 206Pb, which is the stable final product of the disintegration of 238U. Assume that all 206Pb found comes from the disintegration of 238U originally contained in sample. How old is this rock?

Homework Equations

Radioactive decay:
[tex]N = N_0 e^{- \lambda t},[/tex] where [itex]\lambda[/itex] stands for the decay constant, and [itex]N_0[/itex] and [itex]N(t)[/itex] stands for the initial and the number of particles in some instant of time. To convert the mass of the Uranium and Plumbum of the sample, it will be necessary to use the number of Avogadro [itex]N_A = 6.02 \times 10^23[/itex], and their respective molar mass, 238.02891u and 207.2 u.

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt consisted in convert the mass of Uranium and Plubum to [itex]N_U[/itex] and [itex]N_{Pb}[/itex] using their molar mass, which resulted in [itex]4.00\times 10^{21}[/itex] and [itex] 9.94\times 10^{20} [/itex] respectively.
In my first try, I used that [itex]N_0 = N_U + N_Pb[/itex] in the Radioactive decay, and got [itex] 9.99\times 10^8 [/itex] years.
The author claims that this time is [itex] 1.45\times 10^9 [/itex] years.
In my second try, I observed the 238U series here, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decay_chain#Uranium_series, and verified that there are 8 alpha decays before one Plubum atom appears. With this in mind I used that [itex] N_0 = N_U + 32*N_{Pb} [/itex] (I considered that an alpha decay takes 4u of mass from the sample) and got [itex] 9.86\times 10^9 [/itex] years.
Please, I really need some help, I just can't figure out any better assumptions to solve this. I must be using some very incorrect reasoning.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your first try is correct. I suspect you are confusing half-life and λ. Show us your calculations using your first attempt with N0 = NU + NPb.

Likes Portuga
Just a couple of pedantic points:
The English name of Pb is Lead.
The molar mass of 206Pb is 206 (205.974, but 206 is close enough for the present purpose). 207.2 is the molar mass of naturally occurring lead, with its mixture of isotopes.

Likes Portuga
mjc123 said:
The molar mass of 206Pb is 206 (205.974, but 206 is close enough for the present purpose). 207.2 is the molar mass of naturally occurring lead, with its mixture of isotopes.
mjc123 said:

Ok, thanks all for the replies!
My calculus:
[tex]

\begin{aligned} & N=N_{0}e^{-\lambda t}\\
\Rightarrow & -\lambda t=\ln\left(\frac{N}{N_{0}}\right)\\
\Rightarrow & t=\frac{\ln\left(\frac{N_{0}}{N}\right)}{\lambda}\\
& =\frac{\ln\left(\frac{N_{U}+N_{Pb}}{N_{U}}\right)}{\frac{1}{T_{\frac{1}{2}}}}\\
& =\frac{\ln\left(1+\frac{N_{Pb}}{N_{U}}\right)}{\frac{1}{T_{\frac{1}{2}}}}\\
& =\frac{\ln\left[1+\frac{m_{Pb}\left(\frac{m_{mol{}_{Pb}}}{N_{A}}\right)}{m_{U}\left(\frac{m_{mol{}_{U}}}{N_{A}}\right)}\right]}{\frac{1}{T_{\frac{1}{2}}}}\\
& =\frac{\ln\left[1+\frac{\left(m_{Pb}\right)\left(m_{mol{}_{Pb}}\right)}{\left(m_{U}\right)\left(m_{mol{}_{U}}\right)}\right]}{\frac{1}{T_{\frac{1}{2}}}}\\
& =\frac{\ln\left[1+\frac{\left(0.342 \text{mg}\right)\left(206\text{u}\right)}{\left(1.58\text{mg}\right)\left(238.02891\text{u}\right)}\right]}{\frac{1}{4.5\times10^{9}\text{y}}}\\
& \approxeq7.38\times10^{8}\text{y}.
\end{aligned}[/tex]

As I suspected. λ is not 1 / Half-life. λ is ln(2) / Halflife. If you take your original answer of 1.0E9 years and divide by ln(2) you will have the answer.

Likes Portuga
phyzguy said:
As I suspected. λ is not 1 / Half-life. λ is ln(2) / Halflife. If you take your original answer of 1.0E9 years and divide by ln(2) you will have the answer.

Thank you very much!

Portuga said:
Thank you very much!
Do you understand why λ=ln(2)/half life?

haruspex said:
Do you understand why λ=ln(2)/half life?
Yes, now I got the point!
[tex]
\begin{aligned} & N=N_{0}e^{-\lambda t}\\
\Rightarrow & \frac{N_{0}}{2}=N_{0}e^{-\lambda T_{\frac{1}{2}}}\\
\Rightarrow & \frac{1}{2}=e^{-\lambda T_{\frac{1}{2}}}\\
\Rightarrow & \ln\left(\frac{1}{2}\right)=-\lambda T_{\frac{1}{2}}\\
\Rightarrow & \ln2=\lambda T_{\frac{1}{2}}\\
\Rightarrow & \lambda=\frac{\ln2}{T_{\frac{1}{2}}}
\end{aligned}
[/tex]

Likes phyzguy

What is radioactive decay?

Radioactive decay is the process by which an unstable atomic nucleus loses energy by emitting radiation, such as alpha, beta, or gamma particles, and transforms into a more stable nucleus.

How does Uranium 238 decay?

Uranium 238 decays through a series of radioactive decays, starting with alpha decay to Thorium 234, followed by beta decay to Protactinium 234, and then several more alpha and beta decays until it reaches a stable form of Lead 206.

What is the half-life of Uranium 238?

The half-life of Uranium 238 is 4.5 billion years. This means that after 4.5 billion years, half of the original amount of Uranium 238 will have decayed into other elements.

What are the uses of Uranium 238?

Uranium 238 is primarily used as a fuel for nuclear power plants, as well as for nuclear weapons. It is also used in certain medical procedures and in the production of radiographic films.

What are the dangers of Uranium 238 decay?

The decay of Uranium 238 can release harmful radiation, which can damage living cells and cause health problems. It also produces radioactive waste, which is a major concern for nuclear power plants and other industries that use Uranium 238.