Register to reply

Civil Engineering or Mechanical for Patent Attorney

by boilerup12
Tags: attorney, civil, engineering, mechanical, patent
Share this thread:
boilerup12
Oct25-10, 04:17 PM
P: 1
I am a junior currently pursuing a degree in Mechanical Engineering. Recently, I decided to pursue a law degree after completing my Bachelor's degree. I am currently considering a switch to Civil Engineering, but I am not sure if this is a good decision. Does anyone have advice for me? I know civil engineering is acceptable, but is it a wise switch? Any advice would be appreciated.
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Tiny UAVs and hummingbirds are put to test
Britain to trial driverless cars from 2015
NIST corrosion lab tests suggest need for underground gas tank retrofits
Danger
Oct25-10, 06:40 PM
PF Gold
P: 8,964
Welcome to PF, Boilerup.
I am not a high-school graduate, let alone an Engineer, but I tend to think like a Mechanical Engineer and therefore recommend that approach. To me, it seems to be the basis of all other branches in the realm.
aerospaceut10
Oct28-10, 12:37 PM
P: 139
I was also on the patent law path, and even took the LSAT, until I realized I had my priorities mixed up in life. Mechanical engineering would be much better than civil, given that you will be patents with a mechanical basis, not anything dealing with scale of structures in civil engineering. That said, electrical engineering is arguably the most desirable technical background to have with regard to patent prosecution...so if I were you, I'd go for a background in EE.

bklynkenny
Oct31-10, 05:21 PM
P: 9
Civil Engineering or Mechanical for Patent Attorney

Why are you considering a switch to civil engineering?
Studiot
Oct31-10, 06:37 PM
P: 5,462
I think there is no doubt that the number of patents per year produced by mechanical engineering disciplines - especially those involved in mass production - is many many times greater than for civil / building simply because the latter tends to be one off.

Famous patents in civils such as the 'cats eye' were really mech eng driven.

Good luck in your future career.
Greg Bernhardt
Feb17-12, 11:59 AM
Admin
P: 9,334
fyi, my sister (IP attorney) is taking questions here
http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=577550

Register to reply