Masters in Civil Engineering with a Bachelor in general engineering

abdelgo
Hello,
I'm currently pursuing my bachelor's degree in General Engineering. My goal is to do my master's degree in civil engineering. Therefore, my thematic area should be in civil engineering. However, my university does not offer classes in civil engineering, so I need to take them online.
I have attached my program flowchart to this thread. It lists all the classes I have taken and will take. Based on this flowchart, please suggest the classes I need to take to be eligible for my master's program without having to take any undergraduate courses

Attachments

• BSGE_Catalog 2019-2021_EGR1201_ECO1300_CSC1401.pdf
    239 KB · Views: 29
Physics news on Phys.org
Honestly this is the first time I ever heard of a Bachelor's Degree in General Engineering. Typically, it's a BS in Civil, Mechanical, or Electrical Engineering, or BS in Civil, Mechanical, or Electrical Engineering Technology (which is good, but it is less intensive and a not as good option). This BSGE may be helpful for a drafting job or some lower position than Engineer in an Engineering firm, but to me it's useless for an engineering job. So yes, you need to take Civil Engineering courses , but on-line does not always fly, ideally you should attend a college for perhaps 2 years. You would need courses like reinforced concrete design, structural steel design, environmental engineering, structural analysis, advanced mechanics of materials, soils, foundation design, and more, including lab work.

Likes abdelgo, gwnorth and berkeman
This appears to be an interdisciplinary type of build your own degree maybe somewhat akin to Systems Engineering or Industrial Engineering or basically a program that applies an Engineering pedagogy framework and you direct it based on your choice of electives. So depending on which courses you opt for for your 3rd and 4th year technical electives it may be possible that you would be qualified to apply to a civil engineering master's program but you would need to research to make sure you took all the necessary foundational courses required for admission. You would also need to check to see if online courses would be acceptable for admission.

Likes abdelgo