Register to reply

Horrible GPA

by DBTS
Tags: horrible
Share this thread:
DBTS
Dec25-10, 01:31 AM
P: 20
After the end of this semester my GPA will be at a 2.8... I know what happened, for about two years, I did not know what I wanted to do in terms of a degree, wasting time with various elective-based classes until I figured out what I wanted. In the meantime of wasting time, I procrastinated a lot and basically did not do some of the work or none of it at all, instead showed up for exams. In any case, I have about 4 more years left as I finally decided on a major whilst taking none of the class' associated with the major.

I am wondering if I can boost that GPA up towards a possible 3.4 or .5? Also would my record hurt my chances of getting in even if I were to boost the GPA up? Over these past few years I have grown up basically and have opted for a change in priorities with no more parting, girls, etc...
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
FIXD tells car drivers via smartphone what is wrong
Team pioneers strategy for creating new materials
Team defines new biodiversity metric
Pengwuino
Dec25-10, 02:08 AM
PF Gold
P: 7,120
If you have 2 years of B's and C's and all of a sudden 4 years of A's, graduate programs are not stupid, they'll know you're an A student and not a C student. You can definitely get up beyond a 3.4 if you do exceptional in all your courses. Just don't let the bad habits come back :)
fss
Dec25-10, 08:56 PM
P: 1,185
If you do well enough in your chosen major in terms of GPA it should make up (mostly) for past indiscretions.

Vanadium 50
Dec26-10, 05:52 AM
Mentor
P: 16,357
Horrible GPA

Quote Quote by Pengwuino View Post
If you have 2 years of B's and C's and all of a sudden 4 years of A's, graduate programs are not stupid, they'll know you're an A student and not a C student.
True, but to get the A's you need to make sure that you understand the foundations. It may be a good idea to retake a course or two. You wouldn't want to be getting C's and D's not because you aren't working hard enough now, but because you weren't working hard enough then.
Jack21222
Dec26-10, 07:26 AM
P: 772
Quote Quote by DBTS View Post
I am wondering if I can boost that GPA up towards a possible 3.4 or .5?
With a little bit of 8th grade math, you could have figured this out on your own. If you're planning on going into a science, you should consider at least making an attempt.

Assuming you take twice as many credits in 4 years as you already have taken in 2 years, your maximum grade is a 3.60.

Register to reply