Would it be advisable to take an extra year before graduating?

In summary: Math Methods?".In summary, an extra year of college would be beneficial to a physics major who is behind in their degree and would like to take more classes to catch up, as well as to take classes that would be beneficial but unavailable to them if they only took the minimum amount of credits. Taking an extra year may also be beneficial for financial reasons, as the school may be able to meet the full cost of the degree.
dpatnd
Hello all,

I am a physics major who will be starting their senior year next week. My immediate post-graduation plan is to attend graduate school in physics (my interests are in experimental condensed matter). However, I am strongly considering taking an extra year to graduate and was wondering what input anyone may have.

There are two related reasons for why I want to take an extra year. Since I spent one year as an EE major, I am technically one year behind as a physics major. As a result, my senior year will be rather crammed with classes, whereas my peers have the luxury to take electives and lighten their load. This coming semester, for example, I am currently signed up to take QM I, E&M I, solid state, math methods, a senior lab course, and undergraduate research. In addition to this, I would be finishing a research paper from my summer REU, possibly studying for the general GRE and, of course, applying to grad schools. My major GPA of 4.0 thus far would suggest that I am a good student, but there is only so much I can do well before standards start dropping.

The second reason is that, even if I take on this load and a similar one next semester, I will still not have the opportunity to take a number of courses I think would be useful. For example, I would like to take more linear algebra, a class on PDEs, group theory, as well as some relevant physics electives and, perhaps, a graduate-level class or two. Among my REU peers, classes in these areas seemed to be the norm. Therefore, it seems to me that they would outclass me even upon my completion of the degree, to say nothing of the gap between us as it stands right now.

An extra year seems like the solution. I would be able to take whatever classes I want, with a reasonable load each semester. An extra summer to do research couldn’t hurt either. There is, of course, the question of financial aid; I will enquire into that when I get back, but I know we've had past students take a fifth year and had their full need met. Has anyone here voluntarily taken a fifth year or known a student who did? Was it a good choice?

Physics news on Phys.org
It sounds reasonable to take another year and learn more physics. Hopefully you'll be able to prep better for the GRE too. I don't think it will affect your chances of getting into a good graduate program.

Perhaps @Vanadium 50 or @fresh_42 could comment more on your plan.

Likes dpatnd
Sounds like you've got a pretty busy year ahead of you if you try to cram it all in. It's doable of course. Some people thrive when challenged like that. Others can get overwhelmed and burn out.

One piece of advice I'd give is to think deeply about setting up a schedule that doesn't leave you much breathing room. When you do that, if something unexpected happens, there's no flexibility to work it in. A successful year becomes a roll of the dice that you don't get sick, don't need to take on a part-time job because the financial aid you were counting on didn't come through, don't start a new relationship, don't pick up a new hobby, etc.

Likes dpatnd and jedishrfu
Being more prepared for graduute school is a good idea. Cramming your schedule so full of technical courses that you can't handle the load is not. You're going to have to thread that needle. Your college advisor can help you do it, because she will know "Oh, you don't want to take X and Y at the same time".

Realize that the schools you apply to won't see the 2nd semester grades of your final year, and that may influence your course schedule.

Just out of curiosity, why group theory?

Last edited:
Likes jedishrfu and fresh_42
Vanadium 50 said:
Being more prepared for graduute school is a good idea. Cramming your schedule so full of technical courses that you can't handle the load is not. You're going to have to thread that needle. Your college advisor can help you do it, because she will know "Oh, you don't want to take X and Y at the same time".

Realize that the schools you apply to won't see the 2nd semester grades of your final year, and that may influence your course schedule.

Just out of curiosity, why group theory?
A class in group theory was strongly recommended by two different professors for its applications to solid state physics.

Group theory has applications for sure. However, the class may or may not mesh well with that - it might be largely proof-based. If your professors are saying "A group theory class won't hurt" that's a different thing than "You really want to take Math 555 from Prof. Fireplug."

Likes vanhees71
I'm surprised you could cram all the courses into one year. Aren't some courses that you haven't taken yet, like math methods, prerequisites for the other required courses?

Likes vanhees71
vela said:
I'm surprised you could cram all the courses into one year. Aren't some courses that you haven't taken yet, like math methods, prerequisites for the other required courses?
Admittedly, only QM I, E&M I, and the lab course are required for graduating (plus a modern physics elective, which for me is solid state). The math methods are something I supposedly did the equivalent of during my year in engineering, but I still want to take the sequence to cover my bases.

Likes vanhees71 and jedishrfu
As had been said before don't take on too much load. You need time to breathe and reflect on what you are studying. What you learn deeply now will help you in graduate school rather than learning something too fast and too shallow.

Likes dpatnd and vanhees71

1. Should I take an extra year before graduating?

The answer to this question depends on your individual circumstances. Taking an extra year before graduating can be beneficial if you need more time to complete your degree requirements or if you want to take on additional coursework or internships. However, it may also delay your entry into the job market or graduate school. Consider your academic and career goals before making a decision.

2. Will taking an extra year affect my financial aid?

It is possible that taking an extra year before graduating may affect your financial aid. Some scholarships and grants may have limitations on the number of years they can be used for, and taking an extra year may result in a decrease in funding. It is important to consult with your financial aid office to understand how an extra year may impact your financial aid package.

3. Can I still graduate on time if I take an extra year?

Yes, it is possible to still graduate on time even if you take an extra year. This may require careful planning and working closely with your academic advisor to ensure you are on track to complete your degree requirements within the extended timeline. Keep in mind that taking an extra year may also result in additional costs, so it is important to consider this as well.

4. Will taking an extra year affect my chances of getting a job?

Taking an extra year before graduating may not necessarily affect your chances of getting a job. Employers are often more interested in the skills and experience you have, rather than the exact timeline of your graduation. However, if you take an extra year to complete additional coursework or internships, it may enhance your skills and make you a more competitive candidate in the job market.

5. Are there any disadvantages to taking an extra year before graduating?

There can be potential disadvantages to taking an extra year before graduating. These may include additional costs for tuition and living expenses, delayed entry into the job market, and a longer time to start earning a salary. It is important to weigh these potential disadvantages against the potential benefits before making a decision.