Register to reply

Cosmic rays and the EM Spectrum

by RAD4921
Tags: cosmic, rays, spectrum
Share this thread:
RAD4921
Sep7-04, 10:34 AM
P: 314
In the 1969 edition of the World Book Encylopedia it shows that cosmic rays are considered part of the electromagnetic spectrum. In later editions the diagram doesn't show cosmic rays is part of the electromagnetic spectrum. In Capras famous book "The Tao of Physics, he also shows that cosmic rays are part of the EM-S. In other articles it states that cosmic rays were found to be atomic nuclei (in 1928) traveling close to the speed of light. I looked in a highly technical astronomy books and from what little I could decipher from the techno garble that cosmic rays fall into a gray area as far as whether they are radiation or particles. Richard Feynman once included cosmic rays as part of the EM-S in a video tape I saw of him. What gives? Are cosmic rays particles or radiation or possible both?
Thanks, RAD
Phys.Org News Partner Astronomy news on Phys.org
Magnetar discovered close to supernova remnant Kesteven 79
Image: Hubble looks at light and dark in the universe
Mixing in star-forming clouds explains why sibling stars look alike
Nereid
Sep7-04, 11:17 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,014
Both. Cosmic rays - particles - are protons and nuclei (e.g. He4); also electrons and positrons ... the term is usually shorthand for 'galactic cosmic rays', not 'solar cosmic rays'. Despite the former's name, some CRs clearly come from well beyond the Milky Way.

High energy gammas are also 'cosmic rays', though they can be distinguished from particles by various techniques, hence VHE cosmic ray (gamma) 'telescopes' such as CANGAROO, HESSI, VERITAS. This site gives a brief overview of the particle CRs; here is a brief summary of UHEs; CANGAROO
RAD4921
Sep7-04, 05:46 PM
P: 314
Thank you for taking the time and care in answering my question. Now I know why I was confused about this. RAD:)

Register to reply