Interesting feature on a weather map

In summary: I saw this interesting fog feature over the South Dakota, Nebraska, Oklahoma area on the US National Weather Service web site today. The image is copyrighted by The (US) Weather Channel, but I'm trying to find out who to talk to there about obtaining a copy of the map.In summary, a question mark is an area of fog that resembles the letter "Q."
SW VandeCarr
I was checking out a developing blizzard forecast for the northeast US today when I saw this interesting fog feature over the South Dakota, Nebraska, Oklahoma area.

http://www.weather.com/maps/maptype/currentweatherusnational/uscurrentweather_large.html

EDIT: The image is changing. It was the near perfect shape of a question mark right in the center of the country (0500 EST 12/26/10), fog feature color coded yellow. Sorry, but I'm not getting the delete option or finding a quick way to obtain this particular map. (Attempt to copy the original image failed.)

Last edited:
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
A question mark is one of the most common things a weather front could look like, but it is still awesome. I love looking for pictures on weather maps, it is like finding a rainbow. Coolest thing I have ever seen is where the fronts all lined up to almost spell the word SKY.

Smock said:
A question mark is one of the most common things a weather front could look like, but it is still awesome. I love looking for pictures on weather maps, it is like finding a rainbow. Coolest thing I have ever seen is where the fronts all lined up to almost spell the word SKY.

Yeah. I copied the page as a file first but the map itself wasn't captured. I sent an email to the US National Weather Service giving the date and time, but no response yet. Do you know of any other way I can get that map: USA 0500 EST (I think that's 1000 GMT) Dec 26, 2010? Thanks.

EDIT" This wasn't a front. It was an area of fog coded yellow over four central US states, with the period nearly perfectly placed. I didn't just resemble a question mark. No imagination was required. It was a question mark for all practical purposes.

Last edited:
if you run into that situation again, just use the print screen key on the kybrd
and paste the copied image into something like MSpaint (paintbrush)

I have to do it all the time since our local met office here started using a different style of displaying active maps on their www site.

it works a treat :)

Dave

Thanks Dave. I'll give it a try next time. `However, it looks like this image is proprietary, belonging to The (US) Weather Channel (TWC) and I'm trying to find out who to talk to there.

Steve

1. What is a weather map?

A weather map is a visual representation of meteorological data, such as temperature, precipitation, and pressure, over a specific geographic area.

2. How do I read a weather map?

To read a weather map, you need to understand the symbols and colors used to represent different weather conditions. Typically, warm temperatures are shown in red and cool temperatures in blue. Arrows indicate wind direction, and various shapes represent different types of precipitation.

3. What is an interesting feature on a weather map?

An interesting feature on a weather map could be anything that stands out or is unusual, such as a large storm system, extreme temperatures, or a sudden change in weather patterns.

4. How can I use a weather map to predict the weather?

By analyzing the data on a weather map, you can make predictions about future weather conditions. For example, if you see a low-pressure system moving towards your area, it can indicate that you will experience rainy or stormy weather.

5. Where can I find weather maps?

Weather maps can be found on various websites, TV channels, and in newspapers. Many weather apps also provide real-time weather maps for your location. You can also visit the website of your local weather service or national meteorological agency to view weather maps.