Register to reply

Energy continuity equation

by Phrak
Tags: continuity, energy, equation
Share this thread:
Phrak
Jan19-11, 05:41 AM
P: 4,513
Is there such an animal as an energy continuity equation, or one involving Pmu or the stress energy tensor?

It suddenly stuck me that if we are to be so inclined by theory as we are by empirical evidence that energy is a conserved quantity, then there should be an equation that describes it in four dimensions.

Rather than bring in general relativity all at once where energy is not well defined (I have reservations), the stress energy tensor is still a tensor in special relativity, and so special relativity might be the better place to start.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Hoverbike drone project for air transport takes off
Earlier Stone Age artifacts found in Northern Cape of South Africa
Study reveals new characteristics of complex oxide surfaces
DaleSpam
Jan19-11, 05:48 AM
Mentor
P: 16,947
Yes, the continuity equation:
[tex]\nabla_{\nu}T^{\mu\nu}=0[/tex]

This expresses the conservation of energy and momentum locally in curved spacetime and globally in flat spacetime.
Phrak
Jan20-11, 04:09 AM
P: 4,513
Quote Quote by DaleSpam View Post
Yes, the continuity equation:
[tex]\nabla_{\nu}T^{\mu\nu}=0[/tex]

This expresses the conservation of energy and momentum locally in curved spacetime and globally in flat spacetime.
Thanks, I should have done some research sooner. It seems, at this point the validity of \nabla T = 0 in special relativity goes on a case by case basis, until the Einstein equation is invoked where the Bianchi identity is applied to the other side.

Register to reply