Register to reply

Ohmic junction in Cat's-whisker detector

Share this thread:
wasia
Jan24-11, 04:28 PM
P: 53
Hello,

I have read (wiki and physicsforums besides other sources) about how preparing an ohmic junction is hard on wafers in the clean room and that usually one gets a Schottky barrier instead, if one is not careful enough. This makes me wonder, how come that people used to get an ohmic contact on the ancientCat's-whisker detector by just "clamping (the crystal) with setscrews" ?

Or if I am wrong with my assumptions and it is not an ohmic contact, just a random collection of p-n junctions, why does the device work at all?

Thanks in advance.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
New complex oxides could advance memory devices
'Squid skin' metamaterials project yields vivid color display
Scientists control surface tension to manipulate liquid metals (w/ Video)
caffenta
Jan25-11, 10:37 PM
P: 163
Technically, only one contact should be rectifying (the springy one). The other should be ohmic. Clamping down is a sort of brute-force way to make ohmics. You have a very large area and the surface gets ground up which removes the surface layer (oxide or whatever). Eventually, electrons might find an ohmic or quasi-ohmic path. And if it doesn't work, you wiggle it some more. But in some cases, you will never get a properly ohmic contact. It depends on the material, doping, etc.

And I'm pretty sure the specs were much lower then. They could live with higher-resistance contacts, as long as they were more or less linear. Now we need the contacts to have a low resistance and work reliably every time (especially in production).
shawl
Jan26-11, 09:02 PM
P: 63
I suggest a method usually used in our experiment.

Depositing Au film on the sample first, and then you have 2 choices:
1. sticking the detecting wire by sliver adhesive.
2. preparation with the indium electrode.

Register to reply