Exploring Internet Access Options: What Works Best?

In summary, the speaker is seeking better options for internet access as their current options (dial-up, satellite, and Verizon mifi) have limitations and poor quality. They live in an area where laying cables is not feasible and a T1 line is too expensive. Suggestions for better options include DSL, splitting the cost of unlimited internet with a neighbor, or checking for other wireless services.
ƒ(x)
I was just wondering what my options are for internet access.

Things I've tried:
Dial-up (unlimited monthly data WOOHOO! but at the max speed of 56kb/s it's only 14MB...)
Satellite (sucked tremendously, 200MB daily download limit)
Verizon mifi (currently using, still pretty bad, 5GB download limit)

My house is close to town but on a hill, so the companies don't want to lay cables. As far as I know the only other option is a T1 line (the line to my house already exists), but that costs upwards of $450 a month.

Anything ideas for better internet?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Dsl?

fss said:
Dsl?

Nope. When the company installed the lines they used something to boost the voice quality, but that something also prevents dsl.

The route a military base uses for it's cables goes right alongside the border of my property.

ƒ(x) said:
Dial-up (unlimited monthly data WOOHOO! but at the max speed of 56kb/s it's only 14MB...)

5000 Bytes/Second*3600 Seconds/Hour*24 Hours/Day*30+ Days/Month=13 gigabytes.
A second phone line is often inexpensive and you get 26 gigabytes.

Or find a friendly person in town who is line of sight from you, you split the cost of unlimited internet access, you put a high gain wifi antenna at each end carefully aimed at each other and see if it works. Some people get surprising distances with fairly simple equipment.

Cable internet?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cable_Internet_providers#United_States

If you punch in your zip code at DSL Reports, you can get a list of providers in your area. Then hop on over to the forums and figure out what service / saturation is like in your area with the particular providers.
http://www.dslreports.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
Verizon mifi is your best option until dsl or cable becomes available. It might be worth checking to see if any other wireless services are available. Dialup is just too slow.

1. What are the different types of internet access options available?

There are several types of internet access options, including dial-up, DSL, cable, satellite, and fiber optic. Each of these options provides different speeds, pricing, and availability.

2. How do I determine which internet access option is best for me?

The best internet access option for you depends on your location, budget, and internet usage. For example, if you live in a rural area, satellite or DSL may be your only options. If you need high-speed internet for streaming and gaming, fiber optic or cable may be the best choice.

3. What are the pros and cons of each internet access option?

Dial-up is the slowest option, but it is widely available and inexpensive. DSL is faster than dial-up and uses existing phone lines, but its speed and reliability can vary depending on distance from the provider. Cable is faster than DSL and widely available, but speeds can decrease during peak usage times. Satellite is available in remote areas but can be affected by weather and has data caps. Fiber optic is the fastest option but is not yet available everywhere and can be costly.

4. How can I improve my internet access speed?

To improve your internet access speed, you can upgrade to a faster plan, switch to a different provider, or optimize your home network. You can also try moving your router to a central location and minimizing interference from other devices.

5. What factors should I consider when choosing an internet service provider?

When choosing an internet service provider, consider factors such as speed, reliability, cost, and customer service. Research customer reviews and compare plans and prices from different providers to find the best fit for your needs and budget.