Register to reply

Astronomy binoculars like the Celestron Skymaster 20x80?

by mistergrinch
Tags: 20x80, astronomy, binoculars, celestron, skymaster
Share this thread:
mistergrinch
Feb19-11, 03:54 PM
P: 41
What do people think of astronomy binoculars like the Celestron Skymaster 20x80? Are these too big for casual use, for example to take camping? I'm going to Arizona soon and I'm looking for something portable that gives me the most bang for my buck. Should I just get some smaller binoculars? Thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Bees able to spot which flowers offer best rewards before landing
Classic Lewis Carroll character inspires new ecological model
When cooperation counts: Researchers find sperm benefit from grouping together in mice
turbo
Feb19-11, 04:38 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
Quote Quote by mistergrinch View Post
What do people think of astronomy binoculars like the Celestron Skymaster 20x80? Are these too big for casual use, for example to take camping? I'm going to Arizona soon and I'm looking for something portable that gives me the most bang for my buck. Should I just get some smaller binoculars? Thanks.
Large binoculars - especially with magnifications above 10x - can be very cumbersome and difficult to use unless you have a decent tripod for them. That's another piece of gear to pack and lug around.

For camping, casual viewing, and general hand-held astronomy, it's pretty hard to beat 7x50s. My advice is to get a pair of basic 7x50s made by a company that markets high-end gear. You don't get the bells and whistles, but generally, the quality optics, coatings, etc, filter down into the lower-priced models. I have a pair of very basic Nikons, and they are always with me when I'm observing.
mistergrinch
Feb19-11, 04:55 PM
P: 41
What about 10x50's vs 7x50's? Are there any other brands besides Nikon that you recommend for a reasonable price? Thanks.

turbo
Feb19-11, 05:03 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
Astronomy binoculars like the Celestron Skymaster 20x80?

I bought a pair of Celestron 10x50s to keep in my vehicle. They were very inexpensive, with better quality than I had expected. I don't want to leave my Nikons in an unattended vehicle, but the Celestrons are fine for that.

Register to reply