Register to reply

Seeking Text Book for High Pressure Design

by fsonnichsen
Tags: book, design, pressure, seeking, text
Share this thread:
fsonnichsen
Feb24-11, 08:50 AM
P: 27
I am building some small optical cells that will be about the size of a flashlight. They will contain liquids at up to 6000 psi and and have threaded portholes bored in them for inserting sapphire optical windows.

I have built these in the past and I will contract one of our Mechanical Engineers here to finalize the designs with FEA but I would like to do some initial calculations myself concerning wall thickness and threading of the ports.

I have a reasonable background in physics, calculus etc and have perused a few texts with the theory, but I am seeking a handbook/textbook that would discuss a vessel like this on more practical terms, perhaps with tables etc.

Any help appreciated
Thanks,
Fritz
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Sapphire talk enlivens guesswork over iPhone 6
Geneticists offer clues to better rice, tomato crops
UConn makes 3-D copies of antique instrument parts
edgepflow
Feb24-11, 08:12 PM
P: 688
I would first ensure they are using 6000 lb pressure class threads and fittings. These are literally rated to 6000 psig up to 100 degF.

The piping codes ASME B31.1 and B31.3 provide detailed wall thickness formulas.

For a back-of-the-envelope approximation, use the thin wall cylinder formula: t_wall = P r / S

where,

t_wall = required wall thickness

P = internal pressure

r = outside diameter of cylinder

S = allowable stress in material
fsonnichsen
Feb28-11, 11:58 AM
P: 27
Ok and thanks for your reply. I am tracking down some of the references that you mentioned
Fritz

Register to reply