Technical, physical text on (astro)photography & telescopes?

In summary, the conversation discusses the lack of mathematical formulas in texts on astrophotography and telescopes for amateurs. The speaker is interested in finding a book that covers practical calculations such as magnification, focal length, resolution, and more. They mention a relevant book, "Physics of Digital Photography" by Andy Rowlands, but note that it may not be sufficient as a standalone text. They also express concern about the level of technicality and suggest looking into "Modern Optical Engineering" by Warren Smith as a possible option for those seeking more mathematical explanations.
yucheng
It appears that many texts on astrophotography and telescopes for amateurs tend to avoid mathematical formulas, as such, they are of little use to do some practical calculations.

What I am interested in is:
Magnification
Image scale
Focal length
Focal plane and sensor plane! (CCDs!)
Focal-ratio and its physical significance
Field of view
Resolution
Diffraction limit?
etc
Extra: find focal length of telescope from radius of curvature?...

Essentially, a book that covers all practical calculations one can find.

Do you know of any such book? I have the eerie feeling that a full-blown geometrical optics textbook is required, but then one still need to read about lens design... And another for mirrors and telescope. Indeed mirrors! Do they call that mirror design?

Or is basic knowledge just enough for practical applications?

A relevant book is:
Physics of Digital Photography, Andy Rowlands (actually, 2nd ed is out)

Judging from the first chapter (freely available on publisher website), it is indeed fairly technical. Though, it appears to be insufficient as a standalone text. Readers it seems are referred to the more than 5 textbooks listed at the reference (I'm not sure about 2nd ed though, plus I have to look at the ensuing chapters.)

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
yucheng said:
Do you know of any such book? I have the eerie feeling that a full-blown geometrical optics textbook is required, but then one still need to read about lens design... And another for mirrors and telescope.
If you're looking for the math, then yes, an optics-focused textbook is just what you need.
One possibility:
Modern Optical Engineering by Warren Smith (whatever edition is cheapest)

Likes yucheng
Drakkith said:
If you're looking for the math, then yes, an optics-focused textbook is just what you need.
One possibility:
Modern Optical Engineering by Warren Smith (whatever edition is cheapest)
Optics, my greatest fear. Yup, I'll look into this book. Thanks!

Likes Drakkith

1. What type of camera do I need for astrophotography?

The type of camera you need for astrophotography depends on your specific goals and budget. Generally, a DSLR camera with manual settings and a sturdy tripod is a good starting point. However, for more advanced astrophotography, you may need a specialized camera with a larger sensor and better low-light capabilities.

2. How do I choose the right telescope for astrophotography?

Choosing the right telescope for astrophotography can be overwhelming, but it ultimately depends on your budget and the type of objects you want to photograph. A general rule of thumb is to choose a telescope with a larger aperture for better light-gathering abilities. Also, make sure the telescope has a sturdy mount and is compatible with your camera.

3. What is the best location for astrophotography?

The best location for astrophotography is a dark and clear sky, away from light pollution. This can be a remote area, a high altitude location, or a designated dark sky park. The location should also have a stable and flat surface for setting up your equipment.

4. How do I capture long-exposure images for astrophotography?

To capture long-exposure images for astrophotography, you will need to use a remote shutter release or a timer function on your camera. This will prevent any camera shake from pressing the shutter button. You may also need to use a tracking mount to compensate for the Earth's rotation and prevent star trails in your images.

5. How do I process and edit my astrophotography images?

Processing and editing astrophotography images can be a complex process, but there are many software programs and tutorials available to help. Generally, you will need to stack multiple images to reduce noise and improve overall image quality. You can also adjust the levels, colors, and contrast to enhance the details in your image.