Register to reply

Conceptual question

by shahal
Tags: conceptual
Share this thread:
shahal
#1
Mar8-11, 12:35 AM
P: 2
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
I have a rather conceptual question, if I can understand it I can probably solve the prblem.
Here is the problem:

me and my equipment weight is w N. I am climbing a mountain and I climb an elavation of
h meters.

Now, my body convert 25% of energy burnt from fat into PE. The other 75% appears as heat. Half of the heat generated goes into evaporating sweat.

Also given are the following info:

fat contains 1000kcal/kg
and latent heat of evaporation of sweat is 2.5x10^6 j/Kg


2. Relevant equations

mgh
wh
mL



3. The attempt at a solution

ofcourse total work done to go up h meters = w x h J = wh Joules

what I do not understand is since 25% of fat burnt is converted into PE, does this mean
that this is equal to wh J?

or does it mean that 25% of wh is equal to the energy generated by burning fat?

Thanks in advance.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data



2. Relevant equations



3. The attempt at a solution
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data



2. Relevant equations



3. The attempt at a solution
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Bees able to spot which flowers offer best rewards before landing
Classic Lewis Carroll character inspires new ecological model
When cooperation counts: Researchers find sperm benefit from grouping together in mice
shahal
#2
Mar8-11, 12:40 AM
P: 2
Basically I need to find out the amount of fat burnt.


Register to reply

Related Discussions
Conceptual Question 27.13 Advanced Physics Homework 3
Conceptual E&M Question Introductory Physics Homework 0
Simple conceptual question - rolling object question: Introductory Physics Homework 12
CM conceptual question Introductory Physics Homework 1
Conceptual Question Calculus 4