Dynamics of self-gravitating dust

In summary, the conversation revolves around the possibility of starting with equations for a compressible fluid or dust and deriving an expanding solution in Newtonian mechanics. One person believes that this expansion is homogeneous and isotropic and that all particles in the cloud are in free fall, while another is skeptical about the derivation of free fall. There are questions about the possibility of such a scenario and its analogy with an expanding universe in general relativity, as well as the dynamics of a gravitating sphere of dust in Newtonian fluid dynamics. One of the participants has found a way to derive the Friedmann equations for an expanding universe with Newtonian mechanics, but there are some doubts about the initial assumptions and the definition of potential energy in an infinite universe.
tom.stoer
Science Advisor
I have a problem with the following scenario:

A friend of mine claims that it's possible to start with equations for a compressible fluid or dust and to derive an expanding solution in Newtonian mechanics (!) He claims that this expansion is homogeneous and isotropic (I understand his reasoning) and that all particles in the cloud are in free fall i.e. feel no force (this what I do not believe). His equations for test particles do indeed look homogeneous and isotropic, but I doubt that he can correctly derive free fall.

He claims to be able to derive the motion of a test particle that moves together with the expanding sphere of dust in free fall due to the gravitation of the dust. He does not present the equation for this sphere of dust, but instead he uses a kind of effective equation for a test particle from the very beginning. It's not clear to me how he can bypass the equation for the dust itself.

Instead of presenting his derivation I would like to use a different approach. Start with the e.o.m for the dust, i.e. a kind of Euler equations for a compressible fluid taking into account the gravitation of the dust. If this could be done one finds directly how the flow of dust may look like. In that case the motion of the test particle along with the dust could indeed result in free fall.

First question: is there a proof whether such a scenario as described above is possible or impossible? is there an analogy with an expanding universe (from GR) in the sense of Newtonian mechanics, i.e. an explosion of a matter distribution in space (instead of expansion of space as in GR)?

Second question: is there a simple derivation of the dynamics of a gravitating sphere of dust in Newtonian fluid dynamics? Of course the radius of the sphere shall be infinite in order to achieve an homogeneous and isotropic solution.

Third question: does anybody know how to combine the Euler equations for a fluid with the gravitational energy

[tex]V = \int d^3x \int d^3y \, \frac{\rho(\vec{x},t)\,\rho(\vec{y},t)}{|\vec{x}-\vec{y}|}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I can answer one of the questions.

You can derive the Friedmann equation for an expanding universe with Newtionion mechanics as long as the universe is flat and no cosmological constant. Just look at the escape velocity of a particle trying to escape the mass/energy of the universe.

Actually, you can derive the Friedmann equations with curvature from Newtionion mechanics. It takes some handwaving, however. See "Introduction to Modern Cosmology" by Liddle.

Thanks.

Starting with a scalar density, how can one satisfy both decreasing density and homogenity?

Sitting at r I see the density

[tex]\rho(\vec{r}, t) = \rho(r, t)[/tex]

Sitting at a different point I see

[tex]\rho(\vec{r}^\prime, t) = \rho(\vec{r} + \vec{dr}, t) = \rho(r, t) + dr_i\,\partial_i\,\rho(r, t)[/tex]

But if the solution shall be homogeneous the second term must vanish and therefore the density must be constant. Where's my mistake?

Last edited:
OK, I checked "Introduction to Modern Cosmology" by Liddle.

It seems to be rather clear. The equations are well defined from the very beginning and it seems that Newtonian gravity does more or less exactly the same as GR does. As the derivation is more or less identical to GR (differential equations do not care about their meaning :-) the problem must be in the very beginning. I guess it's the step where Liddle introduces the total energy of a mass (volume element) m. In an infinite universe with Newtonian gravity this potential energy is ill-defined due to the instantaneous 1/r law.

So I would say that if one skips the technical detail that the whole model is not defined, the results of the model agree with GR :-)

1. What is self-gravitating dust?

Self-gravitating dust refers to a collection of small particles, such as dust or grains, that interact with each other through gravitational forces. These particles can form structures, such as clouds or rings, due to their mutual attraction.

2. How do the dynamics of self-gravitating dust differ from other systems?

The dynamics of self-gravitating dust are unique because the particles are constantly interacting through gravity, which is a long-range force. This leads to complex and non-linear behaviors, such as the formation of clumps and the emergence of collective structures.

3. What factors affect the dynamics of self-gravitating dust?

The dynamics of self-gravitating dust are influenced by factors such as the mass and size of the particles, their distribution and initial conditions, and the strength of the gravitational force. External factors, such as external forces or collisions with other objects, can also impact the dynamics.

4. How do scientists study the dynamics of self-gravitating dust?

Scientists use computer simulations and mathematical models to study the dynamics of self-gravitating dust. These methods allow them to observe and analyze the behaviors of large numbers of particles over time, and make predictions about the evolution of the system.

5. What applications does the study of self-gravitating dust have?

The study of self-gravitating dust has applications in various fields, such as astrophysics, geophysics, and materials science. Understanding the dynamics of these systems can help us better understand the formation of planets and galaxies, and can also aid in the design of structures and materials that are resistant to gravitational forces.