What Kind of Citrus Fruit is This?

• Thread starter danago
  • Start date
In summary: It also looks a little closer to a grapefruit.In summary, this fruit is unknown to us and we don't know what it is.
danago
Gold Member
What is this fruit??

My dad just came home, with his arms full of these:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7138578/Photo%20Apr%2010%2C%2012%2047%2056%20PM.jpg

(sorry about the poor quality, photo was taken with my phone)

It is obvious that it is some kind of citrus (smells, tastes and looks like like citrus), however we have no idea what specific type it is. The fruit is somewhat bitter, but it is apparently supposed to sweeten slightly as it ripens more (in conjunction with a yellowing of the skin). The person who gave them to my dad just recently bought a property with these growing on it, so he too has no idea what they are.

Does anybody know what they are?

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org

i think it's some kind of citron. not sure.

Might I suggest not eating something that you don't know the identify of?

I have no idea, Danago. I thought I'd do a quick google search for wrinkly pears, but having the search filter on "Do filter my search results" only managed to scar me.

A guy I know said they might be some form of Etrog.

Perfection said:

:rofl:

They look kind of like pomelos (Chinese grapefruit) to me:

pomelo.jpg

Its hard to tell without a higher quality picture. At first I thought they might be kaffir limes, but the pith looks a little too thick. Little more information would help, what area are you in?

Perfection said:

That would probably have been the wise thing to do :smile:

bobze said:
They look kind of like pomelos (Chinese grapefruit) to me:

pomelo.jpg

Its hard to tell without a higher quality picture. At first I thought they might be kaffir limes, but the pith looks a little too thick. Little more information would help, what area are you in?

This looks to the be the closest in appearance of the suggestions so far. The taste seems to fit descriptions that i have read too. As for my location, i am near Perth in Western Australia.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What factors determine the type of citrus fruit?

The type of citrus fruit is determined by its genetic makeup, environmental conditions, and cultivation practices. Citrus fruits can also be categorized based on their characteristics such as color, size, and flavor.

2. How many types of citrus fruits are there?

There are over 100 different types of citrus fruits, including oranges, lemons, limes, grapefruits, and tangerines. Some lesser-known types include kumquats, pomelos, and citrons.

3. What are the health benefits of citrus fruits?

Citrus fruits are rich in vitamin C, which helps boost the immune system and aids in collagen production. They also contain antioxidants, fiber, and other essential vitamins and minerals, making them a nutritious addition to any diet.

4. How do I know if a citrus fruit is ripe?

The ripeness of a citrus fruit can be determined by its color, texture, and aroma. A ripe citrus fruit should have a bright and consistent color, a slightly soft texture, and a fragrant smell. It should also feel heavy for its size.

5. Can I grow my own citrus fruits?

Yes, citrus fruits can be grown in many regions, as long as the climate is warm enough and the soil is well-drained. Some popular citrus trees for home growing include oranges, lemons, and limes. They can also be grown in containers for those with limited space.