Register to reply

A subspace has finite codimension n iff it has a complementary subspace of dim nu

Share this thread:
yifli
Apr28-11, 10:35 AM
P: 70
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
A subspace N of a vector space V has finite codimension n if the quotient space V/N is finite-dimensional with dimension n. Show that a subspace N has finite codimension n iff N has a complementary subspace M of dimension n. Do not assume V to be finite-dimensional.

2. The attempt at a solution
Let [tex]\left\{N+\alpha_i \right\}[/tex] ([tex]1\leq i \leq n[/tex]) be the basis of V/N, I want to show the set spanned by [tex]\alpha_i[/tex] is the complementary subspace M.

First I show V=N+M:
since [tex]\left\{N+\alpha_i \right\}[/tex] are the basis, each v in V can be represented as [tex]\eta+\sum x_i \alpha_i, \eta \in N[/tex]

Next I prove [tex]N\bigcap M[/tex] = {0}:
if this is not the case, there must be some element in N that can be represented as [tex]\sum x_i \alpha_i[/tex]. Since N is a subspace, this means [tex]\alpha_i[/tex] must be in N. Therefore, [tex]\left\{N+\alpha_i \right\}[/tex] cannot be a basis for V/N

Am I correct?

Thanks
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
micromass
Apr28-11, 11:12 AM
Mentor
P: 18,334
Quote Quote by yifli View Post
since [tex]\left\{N+\alpha_i \right\}[/tex] are the basis, each v in V can be represented as [tex]\eta+\sum x_i \alpha_i, \eta \in N[/tex]
there must be some element in N that can be represented as [tex]\sum x_i \alpha_i[/tex].
Why should such a representation exists? You only know that [tex]\{N+\alpha_i\}[/tex] is a basis for V/N. This does not mean that [tex]\alpha_i[/tex] is a basis for V! (which seems like you're using!)

For example: Take [tex]V=\mathbb{R}^2[/tex] and [tex]N=\mathbb{R}\times\{0\}[/tex]. Then [tex]\{N+(0,1)\}[/tex] is a basis for V/N. But (0,1) is not a basis for [tex]\mathbb{R}^2[/tex].
yifli
Apr28-11, 12:36 PM
P: 70
[QUOTE=micromass;3272539]Why should such a representation exists? You only know that [tex]\{N+\alpha_i\}[/tex] is a basis for V/N. This does not mean that [tex]\alpha_i[/tex] is a basis for V! (which seems like you're using!)

I try to prove the complementary subspace M in question is the space spanned by [tex]\alpha_i[/tex].

In orde to do this, I need to show [tex]M\cap N[/tex]={0}.

So suppose [tex]v \in M\cap N[/tex] and [tex]v \neq 0[/tex], that's why I said v can be represented as [tex]\sum x_i \alpha_i[/tex]

micromass
Apr28-11, 12:41 PM
Mentor
P: 18,334
A subspace has finite codimension n iff it has a complementary subspace of dim nu

I see, I misunderstood your proof. It seems to be correct though!!

Register to reply