T is cyclic iff there are finitely many T-invariant subspace

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof that a linear operator on a finite-dimensional vector space over an infinite field is cyclic if and only if there are finitely many T-invariant subspaces. The definition of a cyclic operator and a T-invariant subspace are provided, and the trivial case of a zero subspace is proven. The conversation then explores the other direction and discusses the relevance of the minimal polynomial in determining invariant subspaces. Finally, a possible solution is proposed using an n-dimensional basis and the linearity of T, but the issue of guaranteeing T-invariant subspaces for each basis vector is raised.
Eclair_de_XII

Homework Statement

"Let ##T## be a linear operator on a finite-dimensional vector space ##V## over an infinite field ##F##. Prove that ##T## is cyclic iff there are finitely many ##T##-invariant subspaces.

Homework Equations

T is a cyclic operator on V if: there exists a ##v\in V## such that ##\langle T,v \rangle = V##
A subspace W of V is T-invariant if: for all ##w\in W##, ##T(w)\in W##

The Attempt at a Solution

We prove the trivial case first. Suppose ##T## is a cyclic operator on ##\{0\}## the zero subspace. Then ##T(0)=0\in \{0\}##, and so, ##\langle T, 0 \rangle##. Thus, there is only one T-invariant subspace of the zero subspace.

I can't prove it the other way, though, and I'm not sure how to proceed.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is ##\langle T,v \rangle## and how can it determine the entire vector space?

##\langle T,v \rangle=\{f(T)(v)|f(x)\text{ is a polynomial}\}##

And I am guessing that it can determine an entire vector space ##V## if every element of ##V## can be written as a linear combination of the elements of ##\langle T,v \rangle## and vice versa. In other words, if ##v\in V##, then ##T(v),T^2(v),T^3(v),...\in V## and moreover, ##V## consists of these elements only as well as the zero vector.

Last edited:
v is cyclic for T if every vector in V is a linear combination of vectors of form v, Tv T^2v, T^3v,...i.e. if every vector in V is of form f(T)(v) where f is a polynomial.

notice that if v is cyclic for T and a subspace W contains v and W is T - invariant, then that subspace W is the whole space V.

Intuition suggests to me that the property that the minimal polynomial f of a cyclic operator has degree equal to the dimension of the full space is relevant here, and the factors of f should be useful in describing the invariant subspaces. I.e. if W is an invariant subspace then the restriction of T to W has minimal polynomial some factor of the minimal polynomial f of T on all of V.

Indeed I would conjecture that if T is cyclic, with minimal polynomial f, then the only invariant subspaces are those of form kernel.g(T), where g is one of the finitely many monic factors of f.

In the other direction, to produce lots of invariant subspaces (in the non cyclic case), note that given any vector v, the vectors of form h(T)(v) for all polynomials h, is a T invariant subspace.

So the point seems to be to show that in the non - cyclic case lots of subspaces can have the same (restricted) minimal polynomial, but not in the cyclic case.

of course over a finite field there are always only a finite number of invariant, and non invariant for that matter, subspaces for any operator.

Last edited:
First of all, I'm sorry because I couldn't quite understand what's being said, here, @mathwonk. But I do have another possible idea for a solution. Basically, I let ##dim(V)=n##, then construct an ##n##-dimensional basis for ##V##, ##(v_1,...,v_n)##. Then I let ##v=\sum_{i=1}^n a_iv_i##. From there, I use the hypothesis that ##\langle T,v \rangle=V##, and then use the linearity of ##T## to argue that ##V## is the direct sum of ##\langle T,v_i \rangle##. Is this wrong? The main problem, as I see it, is that there's no way to guarantee that each basis vector generates a T-invariant subspace.

Last edited:

1. What does it mean for a group to be cyclic?

A group is considered cyclic if it can be generated by a single element. In other words, every element in the group can be written as a power of this generator.

2. What is a T-invariant subspace?

A T-invariant subspace is a subspace of a vector space that remains unchanged under the action of a linear transformation T. In other words, if a vector v belongs to this subspace, then T(v) also belongs to the subspace.

3. How does the concept of finiteness relate to T-invariant subspaces?

If there are only finitely many T-invariant subspaces, it means that the linear transformation T has a limited number of ways to act on the vector space. This can provide useful information about the structure and properties of T.

4. Why is the statement "T is cyclic iff there are finitely many T-invariant subspaces" important?

This statement is important because it provides a necessary and sufficient condition for a linear transformation T to be cyclic. It also allows for a deeper understanding of the relationship between T and its invariant subspaces.

5. Can you give an example of a cyclic linear transformation with finitely many T-invariant subspaces?

One example is the linear transformation T: R^2 -> R^2 given by the matrix [1 1; 0 1]. This transformation has a single generator, the vector [0 1], and only two T-invariant subspaces: the zero subspace and the entire vector space R^2.