Register to reply

Thermodynamics Question

Share this thread:
satanic
May4-11, 10:31 AM
P: 2
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A balloon has 0.310 mol of polyatomics gas, Initial volume 7500cm³ and temp 29 degrees C, gas first expands isobarically until volume double. Then expands adiabatiacally until temp returns to initial value, assume gas is ideal gas, C_p = 33.26 J/mol*K, gamma = 4/3.

What is the final volume V?

2. Relevant equations

I think I have to use
PV = nRT
T_1V_1^(gamma-1) = T_2V_2^(gamma-1)

3. The attempt at a solution

I've tried to find the temperature after it expands isobarically and use that as the T1 value, I think this is the only trouble I'm facing here, after that I can find V_2 and add all volumes together, please guide me on how to find T after the isobaric expansion.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
World's largest solar boat on Greek prehistoric mission
Google searches hold key to future market crashes
Mineral magic? Common mineral capable of making and breaking bonds
Andrew Mason
May5-11, 10:53 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 6,653
Quote Quote by satanic View Post
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A balloon has 0.310 mol of polyatomics gas, Initial volume 7500cm³ and temp 29 degrees C, gas first expands isobarically until volume double. Then expands adiabatiacally until temp returns to initial value, assume gas is ideal gas, C_p = 33.26 J/mol*K, gamma = 4/3.

What is the final volume V?

2. Relevant equations

I think I have to use
PV = nRT
T_1V_1^(gamma-1) = T_2V_2^(gamma-1)

3. The attempt at a solution

I've tried to find the temperature after it expands isobarically and use that as the T1 value, I think this is the only trouble I'm facing here, after that I can find V_2 and add all volumes together, please guide me on how to find T after the isobaric expansion.
I will assume this is an ideal gas. So PV=nRT which means that T = PV/nR. If P is constant ΔT = ΔV(P/nR). Remember T is in Kelvins so the initial temperature 29C is what in Kelvin?

AM
satanic
May5-11, 11:32 AM
P: 2
I've actually solved it, thank you anyway

Register to reply