Calculating Final Volume of Ideal Gas with Isobaric and Adiabatic Expansion

In summary, the problem involves a balloon with 0.310 mol of polyatomic gas at an initial volume of 7500cm³ and temperature of 29 degrees C. The gas expands isobarically until the volume doubles, and then expands adiabatically until the temperature returns to the initial value. The gas is assumed to be an ideal gas with C_p = 33.26 J/mol*K and gamma = 4/3. The final volume V can be found by using the equations PV = nRT and T_1V_1^(gamma-1) = T_2V_2^(gamma-1). To find the final temperature, T = PV/nR can be used, with P being
satanic

Homework Statement

A balloon has 0.310 mol of polyatomics gas, Initial volume 7500cm³ and temp 29 degrees C, gas first expands isobarically until volume double. Then expands adiabatiacally until temp returns to initial value, assume gas is ideal gas, C_p = 33.26 J/mol*K, gamma = 4/3.

What is the final volume V?

Homework Equations

I think I have to use
PV = nRT
T_1V_1^(gamma-1) = T_2V_2^(gamma-1)

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried to find the temperature after it expands isobarically and use that as the T1 value, I think this is the only trouble I'm facing here, after that I can find V_2 and add all volumes together, please guide me on how to find T after the isobaric expansion.

Physics news on Phys.org
satanic said:

Homework Statement

A balloon has 0.310 mol of polyatomics gas, Initial volume 7500cm³ and temp 29 degrees C, gas first expands isobarically until volume double. Then expands adiabatiacally until temp returns to initial value, assume gas is ideal gas, C_p = 33.26 J/mol*K, gamma = 4/3.

What is the final volume V?

Homework Equations

I think I have to use
PV = nRT
T_1V_1^(gamma-1) = T_2V_2^(gamma-1)

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried to find the temperature after it expands isobarically and use that as the T1 value, I think this is the only trouble I'm facing here, after that I can find V_2 and add all volumes together, please guide me on how to find T after the isobaric expansion.
I will assume this is an ideal gas. So PV=nRT which means that T = PV/nR. If P is constant ΔT = ΔV(P/nR). Remember T is in Kelvins so the initial temperature 29C is what in Kelvin?

AM

I've actually solved it, thank you anyway

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is a branch of physics that deals with the relationships between heat, energy, and work.

2. What are the laws of thermodynamics?

The first law states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. The second law states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time. The third law states that the entropy of a perfect crystal at absolute zero is zero.

3. How does thermodynamics relate to everyday life?

Thermodynamics plays a role in many everyday processes, such as cooking, weather patterns, and the functioning of engines and refrigerators.

4. What is the difference between heat and temperature in thermodynamics?

Heat is the transfer of thermal energy between two systems, while temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of particles in a system. In other words, heat is an energy transfer, while temperature is a measure of the intensity of heat.

5. What is the significance of the Carnot cycle in thermodynamics?

The Carnot cycle is a theoretical model that represents the most efficient way to convert heat energy into work. It serves as a benchmark for the maximum possible efficiency of heat engines and helps us understand the limitations of real-world systems.