Ideal Gas Law -- Isobaric Epansion followed by....

In summary, an ideal gas with Cv = 5/2R, and γ = 1.4 starts at a volume of 1.5m3 , a pressure of 2.0×105Pa, and a temperature of 300K. It undergoes an isobaric expansion until the volume is V , then undergoes an adiabatic expansion until the volume is 6.0m3 , and finally undergoes an isothermal contraction until it reaches the original state.
physics123

Homework Statement

An ideal gas with Cv = 5/2R, and γ = 1.4 starts at a volume of 1.5m3 , a pressure of 2.0×105Pa, and a temperature of 300K. It undergoes an isobaric expansion until the volume is V , then undergoes an adiabatic expansion until the volume is 6.0m3 , and finally undergoes an isothermal contraction until it reaches the original state.

Homework Equations

What is the volume V of the gas before the start of the adiabatic expansion?

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer is 2.23m^3 but I am unsure of how to go about getting it. I tried PV=nRT but I do not know 'n'.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello.

You don't need to find the number of moles to work this problem even though there is enough information to determine n if you wish.

You are going to need more than PV = nRT to work the problem. There are basically three states involved in the problem. You know the types of processes that connect these states. Use this information to determine relations between P and V for these states.

TSny said:
Hello.

You don't need to find the number of moles to work this problem even though there is enough information to determine n if you wish.

You are going to need more than PV = nRT to work the problem. There are basically three states involved in the problem. You know the types of processes that connect these states. Use this information to determine relations between P and V for these states.

It seems that whichever way I try to solve this, I keep getting back to the fact that I don't know the temperature before the adiabatic change. That means I do not have the volume or the temperature at that point.

Yes, the temperature and volume of the initial state of the adiabatic process are unknowns. However, there are relations that you can write down. For example, what do you know about adiabatic processes?

TSny said:
Yes, the temperature and volume of the initial state of the adiabatic process are unknowns. However, there are relations that you can write down. For example, what do you know about adiabatic processes?
adiabatic processes have no heat transfer (∆Q)

What else do you know about adiabatic processes that might be helpful in determining P and V?

TSny said:
What else do you know about adiabatic processes that might be helpful in determining P and V?
I am completely lost beyond that point.

You should review your notes or textbook regarding adiabatic processes for ideal gases and then come back to this problem.

TSny said:
You should review your notes or textbook regarding adiabatic processes and then come back to this problem.
Don't you think I would've done that before posting in a forum? Thanks for your help.

And did you find something involving adiabatic and gamma ?

1. What is the Ideal Gas Law?

The Ideal Gas Law is a mathematical equation that relates the pressure, volume, temperature, and amount of gas in a system. It is often written as PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles of gas, R is the gas constant, and T is temperature.

2. How does Isobaric Expansion relate to the Ideal Gas Law?

Isobaric Expansion is a process in which a gas expands at a constant pressure. This can be described using the Ideal Gas Law, as the pressure (P) remains constant while the volume (V) and temperature (T) change. The equation for isobaric expansion is V2/V1 = T2/T1, where V1 and T1 are the initial volume and temperature, and V2 and T2 are the final volume and temperature.

3. What is the significance of Isobaric Expansion in thermodynamics?

Isobaric Expansion is an important concept in thermodynamics because it allows us to study the relationship between pressure, volume, and temperature in a gas system. It is also a common process in many real-world applications, such as in engines and refrigeration systems.

4. How do you calculate work done in an Isobaric Expansion?

The work done in an Isobaric Expansion can be calculated using the equation W = P(V2 - V1), where W is work, P is pressure, and V2 and V1 are the final and initial volumes, respectively. This equation is derived from the definition of work as the product of force and displacement, where force is equal to pressure times area and displacement is equal to the change in volume.

5. What are some assumptions made in the Ideal Gas Law?

The Ideal Gas Law makes several assumptions, including that the gas particles have no volume, there are no intermolecular forces between particles, and the particles are in constant, random motion. It also assumes that the gas is at a low enough pressure and high enough temperature that the volume of the gas molecules is negligible compared to the volume of the container.