Gravitation and magnetic field?

by ugur0072
Tags: gravitation, magnet, magneticfield, north, south
ugur0072
May17-11, 01:40 PM
P: 7
I am wondering about that the earth ( and other planets or suns) have gravitation and magnetic field and that they are working different. I know that the gravitation makes us to stay on the earth while the magnetic field is protecting us from the sun.

another thing i am wondering is that, can you make an antigravity and make things fly by making a strong enough magnets. Example if you make very strong "southpol" magnet on south and "northpol" magnet on north so the will resistant each other and fly?. I know it sounds little crazy but it sounds like possible for me :P

(Sorry for my bad english btw. Just ask if you dont understand what i am writing :P)
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists design quantum switches which can be activated by single photons
'Dressed' laser aimed at clouds may be key to inducing rain, lightning
Higher-order nonlinear optical processes observed using the SACLA X-ray free-electron laser
JaredJames
May17-11, 04:01 PM
P: 3,390
Anything with mass has gravity.

Magnetism requires a moving charge.

To get an anti-gravity device you need to cancel out gravity. As far as we're aware this is not possible.

The earths magnetic field is not strong enough to lift anything.

You can't have just a south pole or just a north pole, all magnets have both.
supratim1
May17-11, 09:21 PM
PF Gold
P: 280
you can however change or control directions of moving charged particles using magnetic fields.

Drakkith
May17-11, 09:29 PM
PF Gold
P: 11,035

Gravitation and magnetic field?

There are already trains that levitate themselves using magnetic fields, but this only works because the magnets are very close to each other. You could not use it to fly around or anything.

What would you like to know about gravity and magnetic fields of the planets?
ugur0072
May18-11, 11:05 AM
I dont know very much about this, but the reason for why the planets is going around the Sun, is because the planets have speed, and higher speed means longer away from sun. (Like a roulette) I am right or is it another reason for why the planets are not crashing in the sun but going around it.
Ryan_m_b
May18-11, 11:09 AM
Mentor
P: 5,341
Quote Quote by ugur0072 View Post
I dont know very much about this, but the reason for why the planets is going around the Sun, is because the planets have speed, and higher speed means longer away from sun. (Like a roulette) I am right or is it another reason for why the planets are not crashing in the sun but going around it.
I think this site could help illustrate how orbit works. Essentially the orbiting object has enough speed that as it falls it misses the object it is orbiting.

EDIT: this animation is a lot more informative
ugur0072
May18-11, 02:13 PM
Quote Quote by ryan_m_b View Post
I think this site could help illustrate how orbit works. Essentially the orbiting object has enough speed that as it falls it misses the object it is orbiting.

EDIT: this animation is a lot more informative
Ok, thanks :D . I am understanding it better now. Does it mean that the position of the planet is not because of the speed, but because of its start location?
supratim1
May19-11, 04:22 AM
PF Gold
P: 280
its because of the centrifugal force.
Ryan_m_b
May19-11, 04:24 AM
Mentor
P: 5,341
Quote Quote by ugur0072 View Post
Ok, thanks :D . I am understanding it better now. Does it mean that the position of the planet is not because of the speed, but because of its start location?
I'm not sure what you mean by "position of the planet". Do you mean why is the planet's orbit like it is?
JaredJames
May19-11, 06:27 AM
P: 3,390
The orbit occurs because the speed is enough to ensure it doesn't fall towards the sun but not enough to fly away.

It isn't the centrifugal force.

As the planet orbits, it is falling towards the sun. But because of the speed it is orbiting at it constantly misses.

Register to reply