Magnetic field strength of a stack of magnets

In summary, the formula for magnetic field strength between two magnets stackd together is the same as the formula for a single, longer magnet.
xzy922104
I know that for a single cylindrical neodymium magnet, the formula
$$ \displaystyle{\displaylines{B(z)=\frac{μ_0M}{2}(\frac{z}{\sqrt{z^{2}+R^{2}}}-\frac{z-L}{\sqrt{(z-L)^{2}-R^{2}}})}} $$ shows the relationship between the magnetic field strength and the distance between the magnet. I was wondering if this formula still applies when several cylindrical magnets are stacked together, north pole to south pole? If it does not, is there any way that I could adjust it for situations involving stacked magnets? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You assume that L in the formula of B(z) be replaced with nL where n is number of magnets stacked downward. It seems reasonable to me.
[EDIT]upward, not downward

Last edited:
Likes xzy922104
xzy922104 said:
I know that for a single cylindrical neodymium magnet, the formula
$$ \displaystyle{\displaylines{B(z)=\frac{μ_0M}{2}(\frac{z}{\sqrt{z^{2}+R^{2}}}-\frac{z-L}{\sqrt{(z-L)^{2}-R^{2}}})}} $$
That formula looks incorrect to me. In particular the minus signs (except between the two terms.Maybe $$ \displaystyle{\displaylines{B(z)=\frac{μ_0M}{2}(\frac{z}{\sqrt{z^{2}+R^{2}}}-\frac{z+L}{\sqrt{(z+L)^{2}+R^{2}}})}} $$
Please reference your formula.

hutchphd said:
That formula looks incorrect to me. In particular the minus signs (except between the two terms.Maybe $$ \displaystyle{\displaylines{B(z)=\frac{μ_0M}{2}(\frac{z}{\sqrt{z^{2}+R^{2}}}-\frac{z+L}{\sqrt{(z+L)^{2}+R^{2}}})}} $$
Please reference your formula.
I found the formula in this paper, under the section titled "Cylinder".

Attachments

• 59_1_8.pdf
    739.5 KB · Views: 115
xzy922104 said:
I found the formula in this paper, under the section titled "Cylinder"
Oh I see his origin is translated by L relative to what I was considering. They are the same then. .Good

anuttarasammyak said:
You assume that L in the formula of B(z) be replaced with nL where n is number of magnets stacked downward. It seems reasonable to me.
[EDIT]upward, not downward
Would stacking the magnets affect the overall magnetic field in some way? Would this magnetic field be different from viewing the stack as a single, longer magnet?

xzy922104 said:
Would this magnetic field be different from viewing the stack as a single, longer magnet?
As for the field on z axis , that you refer the formula, it is same as that of a single longer magnet.

Likes Klystron and berkeman
Thank you all for your help!

Likes vanhees71 and berkeman

1. What is the magnetic field strength of a stack of magnets?

The magnetic field strength of a stack of magnets depends on the number of magnets in the stack, the strength of each individual magnet, and the distance between the magnets.

2. How can I calculate the magnetic field strength of a stack of magnets?

To calculate the magnetic field strength of a stack of magnets, you can use the formula B = µ0 * (m1 + m2 + ... + mn) / (2πr), where B is the magnetic field strength, µ0 is the permeability of free space, m1-mn are the magnetic moments of each individual magnet, and r is the distance between the magnets.

3. Does the orientation of the magnets affect the magnetic field strength of a stack of magnets?

Yes, the orientation of the magnets can affect the magnetic field strength of a stack of magnets. If the magnets are aligned in the same direction, the magnetic field strength will be stronger compared to when they are arranged in opposite directions.

4. Can the magnetic field strength of a stack of magnets be increased?

Yes, the magnetic field strength of a stack of magnets can be increased by adding more magnets to the stack or by using stronger magnets. The distance between the magnets can also be adjusted to increase the magnetic field strength.

5. How does the magnetic field strength of a stack of magnets change with distance?

The magnetic field strength of a stack of magnets decreases as the distance between the magnets increases. This is because the magnetic field follows an inverse square law, meaning that the strength decreases exponentially as distance increases.