by ChristinaJ
Tags: mathematica, plot options, string, ticks
Share this thread:
ChristinaJ
May20-11, 09:33 AM
PF Gold
P: 43
All,

I have a ListSurfacePlot3D graphic and wish to label the tick marks using strings. For example if I have X={x1,x2,x3} I would like to label each tick mark at that point with a string, i.e. x1="a", x2="b" etc.

I would also like to know how to take a list of strings and distribute them evenly along the axis.

So far I have

ListSurfacePlot3D[ data , BoxRatios -> {1,1,1}, Ticks ->{{{1,"a"} , {2,"b"} , {3,"c"}} , {{1,"d"} , {2,"e"} , {3,"f"}} , {{1,"h"} , {2,"j"} , {3,"k"}}} ]

This gives the labels "d" , "e" ,"f" on the y-axiz but nothing on the x or z-axes.

Any help gratefully received.

Many thanks,
Christina
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Flapping baby birds give clues to origin of flight
Prions can trigger 'stuck' wine fermentations, researchers find
Socially-assistive robots help kids with autism learn by providing personalized prompts
Simon_Tyler
May20-11, 07:29 PM
P: 313
Your Ticks construction is fine -- it's probably that your data is outside the range you gave the ticks. Put in an explicit PlotRange to check.

Maybe you should look at writing a function that takes the min and max of the axis and generates the ticks you want. See the Generalizations & Extensions section of http://reference.wolfram.com/mathematica/ref/Ticks.html

Register to reply