Plotting a parameter Plane of a spring pendulum in Mathematica

In summary: In the text, the authors mention a method for finding a parameter plane which minimizes the energy. However, they do not provide a step-by-step procedure for doing this in Mathematica, and the procedure they give is for an entirely different system.
MarkTheQuark
TL;DR Summary
I need help plotting a parameter plane of energy-ratio R and the frequency-ratio of a spring pendulum.
I'm reading an article about the order-chaos-order sequence of a spring pendulum [Ref 1], as I'm reading it I'm trying to reproduce the graphs and results through Mathematica.
However, I am new to this software.
I will list below some of the most important equations mentioned in the paper.
"In its equilibrium position the spring will be stretched, due to the weight rng, to a length: ## l_c = l_0 + \frac{mg}{k} ##
angular frequency of the spring: ## \omega_s = \sqrt{\frac{k}{m}} ##
frequency of the pendulum: ## \omega_p = \sqrt{\frac{g}{l_c}} = \sqrt{\frac{g}{l_0 + mg/k}} ##
Total Energy: ## E = \frac{1}{2} m (\dot{x}^2 + \dot{y}^2) + mgy + \frac{1}{2} k (\sqrt{x^2 + y^2} - l_0)^2 ##
Minimum energy: ## E_{min} = -mg (l_0 + \frac{1}{2} \frac{mg}{k}) ##
With that, the author makes a contour plot of the potential energy [Fig 1], and a Parameter Plane of R and ## \mu ## [Fig 2], where R and ## \mu ## are given by:
## R \equiv - \frac{E}{E_{min}} ##
## \mu = 1 + \frac{k l_0}{mg} ##

So, how did he found this parameter plane? And how can I remake it in Mathematica?

The article in question:
Ref 1 - The order—chaos—order sequence in the spring pendulum
J.P. van der Weele and E. de Kleine
Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, 1996, vol. 228, issue 1, 245-272

Figures:

Attachments

• Fig 1.png
    Fig 1.png
    49.8 KB · Views: 121
  • Fig 2.png
    Fig 2.png
    21.5 KB · Views: 115
Physics news on Phys.org
From the context, [itex]\mu[/itex] and [itex]R[/itex] must be non-dimensional constants which characterise the system, eiher because they appear in the equation of motion when appropriately scaled or they are conserved quantities fixed by the initial conditions, again when appropriately scaled; I assume the authors define these scalings somewhere in the text. (I think it's clear that position is scaled by [itex]l_0[/itex]; the time scaling is probably by reference to one of the natural frequencies of the system.)

To reproduce the figure, you would have to conduct a large number of observations (ie. numerical simulations) of the system for a variety of values of the parameters and classify their behaviour as either chaotic or non-chaotic.

Last edited:

1. How do I plot a parameter plane of a spring pendulum in Mathematica?

To plot a parameter plane of a spring pendulum in Mathematica, you will need to first define the equations of motion for the system. This can be done using the DSolve or NDSolve functions. Once the equations are defined, you can use the ParametricPlot3D function to plot the parameter plane.

2. What parameters do I need to include in the plot?

The parameters that need to be included in the plot will depend on the specific equations of motion for your spring pendulum system. However, some common parameters include the mass of the pendulum, the spring constant, the length of the pendulum, and any initial conditions such as the initial angle or velocity.

3. Can I change the range of the parameter values in the plot?

Yes, you can change the range of the parameter values in the plot by using the PlotRange option in the ParametricPlot3D function. This allows you to zoom in or out on specific areas of the parameter plane.

4. How can I add labels and axes to the plot?

To add labels and axes to the plot, you can use the PlotLabel, AxesLabel, and AxesStyle options in the ParametricPlot3D function. These allow you to customize the appearance of the plot and add appropriate labels for the parameters and axes.

5. Is it possible to animate the parameter plane plot?

Yes, it is possible to animate the parameter plane plot in Mathematica. This can be done using the Animate function, which allows you to specify a range of parameter values and create a sequence of frames that can be played as an animation. You can also use the Manipulate function to create interactive controls for the animation.