Refreshing Electrical Engineering Knowledge After 3 Years

• Thread starter dimorphic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Knowledge
In summary, the individual has been working as an EE for three years, but their work has been focused on test/manufacturing/embedded systems. They are concerned that their fundamental EE knowledge has atrophied and they are rusty, which may be an issue for future career moves. They are seeking advice on how to refresh their knowledge, including re-reading books, doing problem sets, or watching online course material. The expert suggests going back over their notes and making sure they can do the derivations.
dimorphic
I wrapped up my BSEE three years ago and have been working as a EE since then. However, the vast majority of my work has been geared toward test/manufacturing/embedded. As a result, I fear that a substantial amount of my fundamental EE knowledge has atrophied and I'm just plain rusty.

This isn't really an issue for my current position, but I'm starting to look ahead toward my next career move and figure that I'd be grilled in an interview setting. Other than re-reading every book I have and doing every problem set, what would you recommend I do to get back up to speed? Are there any particular books that are recommended for refreshing? Another possibility would be to view some online course material, such as MIT's video collection (http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electrical-engineering-and-computer-science/).

Anyway, any tips would be greatly appreciated - thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Going back over your notes is the best way to refresh your knowledge. I don't think you have to do a lot of problems, but make sure you can do the derivations in your notes.

1. How do I refresh my electrical engineering knowledge after 3 years?

The best way to refresh your electrical engineering knowledge after a long break is to start by reviewing the basics. This includes going over fundamental concepts and equations, as well as familiarizing yourself with any new technology or developments that have occurred since you last studied. You may also want to consider taking some online courses or attending workshops to update your skills and knowledge.

2. What resources are available for refreshing electrical engineering knowledge?

There are many resources available for refreshing your electrical engineering knowledge, including textbooks, online courses, video tutorials, and practice problems. You can also attend conferences and workshops, join professional organizations, and network with other engineers to stay updated on the latest advancements in the field.

3. How can I balance refreshing my knowledge with my other commitments?

Balancing your commitments while refreshing your electrical engineering knowledge can be challenging, but it is important to prioritize your studies. Set aside specific times for studying and stick to a schedule. You may also want to consider breaking up your review into smaller chunks and focusing on one topic at a time.

4. Is it necessary to refresh my electrical engineering knowledge?

As with any field, it is important to stay updated and refreshed on the latest developments and technologies in electrical engineering. This will not only help you stay competitive in the job market, but also ensure that you are providing the most accurate and efficient solutions for your projects and clients.

5. How long will it take to refresh my electrical engineering knowledge?

The time it takes to refresh your electrical engineering knowledge will vary depending on your previous level of understanding and the amount of time you can dedicate to studying. It is important to not rush through the material, but instead focus on understanding the concepts and their applications. It may take a few weeks or even months to fully refresh your knowledge, but the effort will be worth it in the long run.