Register to reply

What is a difficult College-Algebra book?

by QuarkCharmer
Tags: book, collegealgebra, difficult
Share this thread:
QuarkCharmer
May24-11, 10:00 PM
P: 1,035
I keep finding all of these new little tricks that people use in algebra. I am doing just great as it is, but I would like to become more comfortable with logs, radicals, and the sort of math-play that one uses to simplify complex expressions, much in the way proving identities works.

What is a good, and difficult all-around algebra book?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Suddenly, the sun is eerily quiet: Where did the sunspots go?
'Moral victories' might spare you from losing again
Mammoth and mastodon behavior was less roam, more stay at home
jcw99
May25-11, 07:52 AM
PF Gold
P: 15
College Algebra by Charles H. Lehmann, 1962. I don't know how to cut and paste yet, but this book is listed on Amazon. I bought mine recently for $10. It has a few things I'm not interested in, such as probability and math of finance, but it also has chapters on partial fractions, theory of equations, and inequalities. It's a small book, too; 435 pages! If you like old-timey meat and potatoes books, I think you'll enjoy this one. This is my first post and I hope it's helpful - I can't begin to tell you how much this forum has helped me. John
mathwonk
Jun2-11, 12:20 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 9,453
In my opinion the best algebra book is the one by Euler, Elements of Algebra, from the 18th century. It is available free as a google book.

http://www.archive.org/details/eleme...ebra00lagrgoog

Register to reply