What is a difficult College-Algebra book?

• Thread starter QuarkCharmer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book
In summary, during a conversation about algebra, someone mentions wanting to become more comfortable with logs, radicals, and simplifying complex expressions, and asks for recommendations for a good algebra book. Another person suggests the book "College Algebra" by Charles H. Lehmann, which includes chapters on partial fractions, theory of equations, and inequalities. Another person recommends "Elements of Algebra" by Euler, a free book available on Google.
QuarkCharmer
I keep finding all of these new little tricks that people use in algebra. I am doing just great as it is, but I would like to become more comfortable with logs, radicals, and the sort of math-play that one uses to simplify complex expressions, much in the way proving identities works.

What is a good, and difficult all-around algebra book?

Physics news on Phys.org
College Algebra by Charles H. Lehmann, 1962. I don't know how to cut and paste yet, but this book is listed on Amazon. I bought mine recently for $10. It has a few things I'm not interested in, such as probability and math of finance, but it also has chapters on partial fractions, theory of equations, and inequalities. It's a small book, too; 435 pages! If you like old-timey meat and potatoes books, I think you'll enjoy this one. This is my first post and I hope it's helpful - I can't begin to tell you how much this forum has helped me. John

1. What makes a College-Algebra book difficult?

A College-Algebra book is considered difficult when it covers advanced topics, has complex problem-solving techniques, and requires a strong foundation in algebraic concepts. These books may also have a high level of difficulty due to their rigorous exercises and challenging problems.

2. How can I identify a difficult College-Algebra book?

A difficult College-Algebra book will typically have a higher level of difficulty compared to other algebra books. It may also have a longer list of pre-requisites and require a deeper understanding of algebraic concepts. Additionally, you can look for reviews or ask for recommendations from other students or professors.

3. Are there any specific features that make a College-Algebra book difficult to understand?

Yes, a difficult College-Algebra book may have complex explanations, lack of examples, or confusing notation that can make it challenging to understand. It may also have a large number of problems with varying levels of difficulty that can be overwhelming for students.

4. How can I improve my understanding of a difficult College-Algebra book?

One way to improve understanding is by breaking down the material into smaller sections and taking breaks in between to process the information. Additionally, working through practice problems and seeking help from a tutor or professor can also aid in understanding difficult concepts.

5. Is it necessary to use a difficult College-Algebra book to excel in the subject?

No, using a difficult College-Algebra book is not necessary to excel in the subject. It is more important to find a book that suits your learning style and has clear explanations and relevant examples. Consistent practice and seeking help when needed can also contribute to success in the subject.