Register to reply

What is a difficult College-Algebra book?

by QuarkCharmer
Tags: book, collegealgebra, difficult
Share this thread:
QuarkCharmer
May24-11, 10:00 PM
P: 1,035
I keep finding all of these new little tricks that people use in algebra. I am doing just great as it is, but I would like to become more comfortable with logs, radicals, and the sort of math-play that one uses to simplify complex expressions, much in the way proving identities works.

What is a good, and difficult all-around algebra book?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Bees able to spot which flowers offer best rewards before landing
Classic Lewis Carroll character inspires new ecological model
When cooperation counts: Researchers find sperm benefit from grouping together in mice
jcw99
May25-11, 07:52 AM
PF Gold
P: 15
College Algebra by Charles H. Lehmann, 1962. I don't know how to cut and paste yet, but this book is listed on Amazon. I bought mine recently for $10. It has a few things I'm not interested in, such as probability and math of finance, but it also has chapters on partial fractions, theory of equations, and inequalities. It's a small book, too; 435 pages! If you like old-timey meat and potatoes books, I think you'll enjoy this one. This is my first post and I hope it's helpful - I can't begin to tell you how much this forum has helped me. John
mathwonk
Jun2-11, 12:20 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 9,453
In my opinion the best algebra book is the one by Euler, Elements of Algebra, from the 18th century. It is available free as a google book.

http://www.archive.org/details/eleme...ebra00lagrgoog

Register to reply