Looking for my first textbook on Linear Algebra Need suggestions

In summary, this expert summarizer recommends looking for a textbook that has examples, practice questions, quizzes and tests, as well as answers in the back. They also recommend finding a book that is affordable, and that is written well for someone who is not mathematically gifted.
MathExplorer
First of all, I attached pictures of the very last algebra textbook that I have finished studying. I'm going the self taught route. I really loved this book because it had lots of examples, practice exercises, quizzes and even tests! It also had answers in the back. It's currently my favorite math textbook. So well designed for someone teaching himself! I'm currently going through it a second time because I'm already starting to forget concepts because I went through this book too quickly. I'm taking my sweet time going through it a second time.

Anyway, back on topic:
I'm looking for my very first textbook on Linear Algebra. And yes, I'm already at work using amazon, google and youtube book reviews to help me find the right one. And so far I keep finding really good Linear Algebra textbooks that are designed to be a student's "second" exposure to linear Algebra.

Are there any specific linear algebra books out there that you guys reccomend for someone at my current math level, and who is going the self taught route?

Key things I'm looking for in my first Linear Algebra textbook:

1. Just like my intermediate algebra textbook, I need one that has examples, practice questions, quizzes and tests, as well as answers in the back.

2. One that I can afford, lol. There are too many linear algebra textbooks out there that you can get really cheap on amazon and elsewhere for me to spend hundreds of dollars on a textbook. So one of those cheap ones has to have what I'm looking for. I don't care if it's used or not, just as long as it's in good enough condition for me to learn Linear Algebra.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions! and if possible, when reccomending a book, give me the ISBN number so I can more effectively search for it. Who knows, I might end up finding what you're suggesting for less than 10 dollars somewhere, lol.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 152
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 145
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 145
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 153
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you looked at Schaums Linear Algebra?

Also 3brown1blue on youtube has an excellent sequence of videos on the essence of linear algebra.

jedishrfu said:
Have you looked at Schaums Linear Algebra?

Also 3brown1blue on youtube has an excellent sequence of videos on the essence of linear algebra.
no I am completely knew to linear algebra, accept for what i learned in the textbook i recently finished, in which i have pics attached to my post above. ill look up the two thing you mentioned though. u wouldn't happen to have an isbn number for the book you mentioned, do you?

I think the ISBNs are,

ISBN-13: 978-1260011449,

ISBN-10: 1260011445.

Likes madscientist_93
Yes that’s the book. Each chapter is only a few pages of key concepts followed by worked problems followed by problems to work on your own.

Schaums has another book that I highly recommend namely the Mathematical Handbook of Formulas and Tables. It is a great reference for all sorts of applied math formulas, coordinates systems, integrals and derivatives and a lot more.

Likes Mr.Husky, MathExplorer and madscientist_93
cool, thanks! Well I just bought that textbook on amazon! It should be showing up in the mail tomorrow.

One thing to think about that the Schaum's Outline book doesn't cover is proofs, a topic that many students of linear algebra haven't really come across before, and struggle with.

Here's an example.
Given the transformation from ##\mathbb R^3## to ##\mathbb R^3## is defined by
##S\left(\begin{bmatrix} a \\ b \\ c \end{bmatrix}\right) = \begin{bmatrix} a & -b & -c \\ a & -b & +c \\ a & b & 5c \end{bmatrix}##.
Prove that S is a linear transformation. Source - https://www.mathway.com/examples/algebra/linear-transformations/proving-a-transformation-is-linear?id=266#:~:text=To prove the transformation is linear, the transformation,the addition property is preserved for S S.

Likes jedishrfu and berkeman
Elementary Linear Algebra - Anton

Excellent first start. I am not mathematically gifted so to say, and I was able to work through this book effectively. I intend to go over it again before moving on to Linear Algebra by Friedberg, and Linear Algebra Done Right by Axler. These are all highly rated books I suggest looking at if you enjoy the subject.

Likes jasonRF, MathExplorer and jedishrfu
for a truly well written beginner book. Paul shields : Elementary Linear Algebra.

Likes mathwonk

1. What is Linear Algebra?

Linear Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with linear equations, vectors, matrices, and their transformations. It is used to solve systems of linear equations and study geometric objects such as lines, planes, and hyperplanes.

2. Why do I need a textbook on Linear Algebra?

A textbook on Linear Algebra provides a comprehensive and structured approach to learning the subject. It covers all the necessary concepts, definitions, and theorems, and provides examples and exercises to help you understand and apply the material.

3. What should I look for in a first textbook on Linear Algebra?

When looking for a first textbook on Linear Algebra, it is important to consider the level of difficulty, the clarity of explanations, and the inclusion of examples and exercises. It is also helpful to choose a textbook that aligns with your learning style and has good reviews from other students or educators.

4. Can you recommend a good textbook on Linear Algebra?

There are many good textbooks on Linear Algebra, so it ultimately depends on your personal preferences. However, some popular choices among students and educators include "Linear Algebra and Its Applications" by David C. Lay, "Introduction to Linear Algebra" by Gilbert Strang, and "Linear Algebra Done Right" by Sheldon Axler.

5. How can I make the most out of my first textbook on Linear Algebra?

To make the most out of your first textbook on Linear Algebra, it is important to actively engage with the material. This can include taking notes, solving practice problems, and seeking help when needed. It is also helpful to connect the concepts to real-world applications to better understand their significance and relevance.