Order of system

by dhruv.tara
Tags: order
Share this thread:
dhruv.tara
Jun1-11, 05:37 AM
P: 46
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
In control engg. we define the order of the system as (or atleast as far as I have understood as) Nu/s^m*(s+a)(s+b)....

I cannot understand the base for such classification? Why are we classifying systems based on the number of poles they have on origin?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Law changed to allow 'unlocking' cellphones
Microsoft sues Samsung alleging contract breach
Best evidence yet for coronal heating theory detected by NASA sounding rocket
CEL
Jun3-11, 11:14 AM
P: 639
No, the order of the system is the number of poles (at the origin and elsewhere).
Ecthelion
Jun3-11, 12:57 PM
P: 27
CEL is correct.

Something to add however is the way you have written the transfer function - it's done for a purpose. In controls seeing how many poles are at the origin, you're s^m part of the denomenator, has many ramifications that can be crucial when interpreting a system response or designing for one. So in seeing, and perhaps formatting a transfer function in this fashion, it is an aesthetic move but can make things easier.

dhruv.tara
Jun4-11, 09:44 AM
P: 46
Order of system

thanks guys I was confusing myself with the order and type of the system... good I could get that clear just in time :)

Register to reply