Order of system

by dhruv.tara
Tags: order
Share this thread:
dhruv.tara
Jun1-11, 05:37 AM
P: 46
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
In control engg. we define the order of the system as (or atleast as far as I have understood as) Nu/s^m*(s+a)(s+b)....

I cannot understand the base for such classification? Why are we classifying systems based on the number of poles they have on origin?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Physical constant is constant even in strong gravitational fields
Montreal VR headset team turns to crowdfunding for Totem
Researchers study vital 'on/off switches' that control when bacteria turn deadly
CEL
Jun3-11, 11:14 AM
P: 639
No, the order of the system is the number of poles (at the origin and elsewhere).
Ecthelion
Jun3-11, 12:57 PM
P: 27
CEL is correct.

Something to add however is the way you have written the transfer function - it's done for a purpose. In controls seeing how many poles are at the origin, you're s^m part of the denomenator, has many ramifications that can be crucial when interpreting a system response or designing for one. So in seeing, and perhaps formatting a transfer function in this fashion, it is an aesthetic move but can make things easier.

dhruv.tara
Jun4-11, 09:44 AM
P: 46
Order of system

thanks guys I was confusing myself with the order and type of the system... good I could get that clear just in time :)

Register to reply