Unstable 4th order system (control theory)

In summary, the student is trying to find a way to stabilize an unstable system. He has tried a PID controller, a controller with low pass filter, and a controller with multiple derivatives and integrators, but he has not been successful. He has also tried a bode plot and Mason's Rule to help him find the zeroes and poles. He has found that by setting the poles and zeroes in the root locus, he can get the system to stay stable.
Maxim Nol

Homework Statement

Hello everyone!
To simplify, I have a system whose transfer function looks like this:

G = (s^2-1) / (s^4-s^2-1)

It's unstable and I have to find a way to stabilize it using PID controller and/or lead/lag compensators.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So far I tried a simple PID controller (Kp + Ki/s + Kd*s), a PID controller with low pass filter (Kp + Ki/s + Kd*s/(1+N*Kd*s), a PID controller with multiple derivatives and integrators (P*I^m*D^n) but no luck.
I'm using MATLAB to solve it.

Root locus attached.
untitled.png

Could you give me any hints?
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think you can do it with a 1. order cortroller in which there are 3 variables to adjust, with 5 system roots.

You must use a 3. order controller, where you have 7 variables to adjust, with 7 system roots.

Then you can do it for sure.

The 3. order filter must be written:

G = K*(s+a)(s+b)(s+c) / ( ( s+d)(s+e)(s+f) )

Now, calculate the algebraic characteristic equation as for the closed loop transfer function, H1(s) = 0
Express the desired characteristic equation, H2(s) = 0.
By inspection of H1(s) = H2(s) you can setup 7 linear equations.
Solve them and you have found the values of K, a . . f.

Please sketch a root locus and attach it. I would like to see it.

Likes Maxim Nol
another hint.

take a look at a bode plot (if you have MATLAB this should be easy)

once you look at the bode plot that might help you understand what you need to do to stabilize your system

Likes Maxim Nol
Hesch said:
I don't think you can do it with a 1. order cortroller in which there are 3 variables to adjust, with 5 system roots.

You must use a 3. order controller, where you have 7 variables to adjust, with 7 system roots.

Then you can do it for sure.

The 3. order filter must be written:

G = K*(s+a)(s+b)(s+c) / ( ( s+d)(s+e)(s+f) )

Now, calculate the algebraic characteristic equation as for the closed loop transfer function, H1(s) = 0

Please sketch a root locus and attach it. I would like to see it.
Thank you very much, that helped. I wish I hadn't lost so much time trying to design a PID.
Just one question: does this look like a valid desired C.E. to you? D=(s+p)^5 (s^2+2*omega*zeta+omega^2). I set pole 'p'=10*omega so that desired natural frequency dominated system dynamics.

rlocus.png

donpacino,
That's a bode diagram (I have 2 outputs). What conclusions should I make from that? Sorry, I'm all new to this.

bode.png

Your plant has the transfer function: G = (s^2-1) / (s^4-s^2-1)
In #2 I have suggested a transfer function like: H = K*(s+a)(s+b)(s+c) / ( ( s+d)(s+e)(s+f) )

The two transfer functions are connected in series, so the overall transfer function as for the open loop will be: GH(s) = G(s) * H(s)

It is tempting to place a zero/pole pair in H(s) matching the righthand pole/zero pair in G(s), to cancel/get rid of them, but that doesn't work in practice because you cannot hit them exactly. Thus you must do as stated in #2:
Hesch said:
So having found the 3 zeroes and 3 poles in H(s), you must place the overall 5 zeros and 7 poles in the same root locus.

Now, calculate the characteristic equation (Mason's rule) as for the closed loop transfer function, plot the root locus by varying K from 0 to ?. You should get something like this ( just an example with only 3 curves):

invRL5.GIF

At the calculated K-value, you should see all the 7 curves passing the desired locations, left to the imaginary axis ( stable area ).

Normally you can see by intuition, where about zeroes and poles are to be placed, but that's impossible ( for me ) in a 7. order system.
Likewise I cannot (any longer) solve 7 linear equations, with complex number results, by mental calculations. :sorry:. . .:frown:

Last edited:

1. What is an unstable 4th order system?

An unstable 4th order system is a type of control system that is characterized by having four poles (or roots) in its transfer function. These poles are located in the right half-plane of the complex plane, which means that the system is inherently unstable and can lead to unpredictable and oscillatory behavior.

2. What are the potential consequences of an unstable 4th order system?

An unstable 4th order system can lead to instability in the overall control system, causing it to behave erratically and produce unreliable outputs. This can result in system failure, increased maintenance costs, and potentially dangerous situations depending on the application of the system.

3. How can an unstable 4th order system be stabilized?

There are several methods for stabilizing an unstable 4th order system, including controller design techniques such as pole placement or feedback control. These methods involve manipulating the transfer function of the system to shift its poles to the left half-plane, making it stable and improving its overall performance.

4. What are the challenges of controlling an unstable 4th order system?

Controlling an unstable 4th order system can be challenging due to its inherent instability and sensitivity to disturbances and uncertainties. The design of a controller must take into account the system's complex dynamics and ensure stability while also achieving the desired performance goals.

5. Can an unstable 4th order system be used in practical applications?

While an unstable 4th order system may seem like a disadvantage, it can actually be beneficial in certain applications. For example, it can be used in systems that require fast response times and high precision, such as in aerospace or robotics. However, careful design and implementation are necessary to ensure the system's stability and safety in these applications.