Second moments of area Izz and Ixx

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of various parameters for a vertical column under a compressive point load. These parameters include the second central moments of area, maximum compressive and tensile stresses, and the position of zero stress on the cross section. The conversation also mentions the need for calculating the bending moment, which is done by taking moments about the neutral axis. The formula for finding the position of zero stress is also mentioned.
on1591

Homework Statement

A vertical column has the horizontal cross sectional area shown in the attached image. The column carries a vertical compressive point load of 30kN applied at d. calculate the following:

a) The second central moments of area IZZ and Ixx
b) The maximum values of compressive and tensile stresses
c) The position on the cross section where the stress is zero

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have done part a and got:

Ixx = 5.48E+5
IZZ = 1.75E+5

for part b i know the formulas for compressive stress and tensile stress. However they require a bending moment number. How do i calculate this?

Tensile = Mzc/Ixx
Compressive M(zmax-Zc)Ixx

Compressive stress due to point load F/A

C) I am not sure how to complete this part

Any help would be much appreciated

Attachments

• mechanics q2.png
    mechanics q2.png
    9.4 KB · Views: 832
Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Neutral Axis

zc = 46.75mm and xc = 22.5mm. Is the bending moment calculated from these?

I have been trying to work out the bending moment for a while now and can't seem to get the answer of 3.97E+5 Nmm

Remember, take your moments about the neutral axis.

I am also stuck on a very similar question and i don't know how to calculate the moment. I assume the neutral axis was at the centroid of the shape which I would work out to be 46.3 mm. I have been looking for days for help on this and I'm getting nowhere

Do you need to draw a bending moments diagram??

Bending moment is M= mass x distance between the (load point D - Zc).

The position of zero stress (Zo) is basically,

Zo=total tensile stress x total length of z-direction( I beam)/total tensile stress + total compressive stress.

1. What is the difference between Izz and Ixx?

The second moment of area, also known as the moment of inertia, is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in rotation. Izz represents the moment of inertia around the object's principal axis, while Ixx represents the moment of inertia around an axis perpendicular to the principal axis. In simpler terms, Izz is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in rotation around its long axis, while Ixx is a measure of its resistance to changes in rotation around its short axis.

2. How is the second moment of area calculated?

The second moment of area is calculated by integrating the square of the distance of each point from the axis of rotation, multiplied by the infinitesimal area of that point. This is typically done using calculus, and the resulting value is expressed in units of length to the fourth power (e.g. mm^4 or in^4).

3. Why is the second moment of area important?

The second moment of area is an important concept in engineering and physics, as it helps to determine an object's resistance to changes in rotation. It is particularly useful in analyzing the structural integrity and stability of objects under various loads and stresses.

4. How does the second moment of area impact an object's bending stiffness?

The second moment of area is directly related to an object's bending stiffness, which is a measure of its resistance to bending deformation. The larger the second moment of area, the stiffer the object will be and the less it will bend under a given load. This is why objects with larger Izz and Ixx values are typically stronger and more rigid.

5. Can the second moment of area be changed?

Yes, the second moment of area can be changed by altering the shape of an object. For example, a rectangular beam will have a different Izz and Ixx value compared to a circular bar of the same length and material. Additionally, the second moment of area can also be increased by adding material to an object, such as reinforcing a beam with additional steel plates.