Second moments of area of a simply supported regular I beam

In summary, the question involves finding the second moment of area Ixg of a simply supported regular I beam with specific dimensions and a UDL load. The solution uses equations for the second moment of area of a rectangle about an axis through its centroidal axis and its base, as well as the parallel axes theorem. The final result is 16.37x10^6 mm^4, and an explanation of the different sections of the solution is given to clarify any confusion.
Steve Collins
I’m having trouble getting my head around this example and solution that was given as part of a revision pack for an upcoming exam. Any explanation would be gratefully received.

Question:

A simply supported regular I beam is 90mm wide and 120mm high. The top and bottom flanges are 10mm thick, as is the web. It is 6m long and carries a UDL of 6KN/m over the length of its top flange.
Determine the second moment of area Ixg about the horizontal axis which passes through the centroidal axis of the beam.

Equations:

Second moment of area of a rectangle about an axis through its centroidal axis, Igg= (bd^3)/12

Second moment of area of a rectangle about its base, Izz= (bd^3)/3

Parallel axes theorem, Iaa= Ig+A(y)^2 (I’m not sure how to put the – over the y using word)

Solution:

Total area A= 4x40x10+120x10= 2800mm^2 … easy enough

Centroid y = [(2x10x40x5)+(2x10x40x115)+(120x10x60)]/2800 = 60mm

Again this is easy enough and I can see the logic, but this is where I am struggling:

From second moment of area of a rectangle about its base, Izz= (bd^3)/3 and parallel axes theorem Iaa= Ig+A(y)^2.

Ixx= 1/3x40x10^3x2 + 1/3x10x120^3 + 2x [1/12 x 40x10^3 + 40x10x115^2] = 16.37x10^6 mm^4

An explanation of the different sections of the line above would help me a lot. I’m confused with the use of Igg= (bd^3)/12 and Izz= (bd^3)/3.

Ig= 16.37x10^6 – 2800 x 60^2 = 6.29x10^6 mm^4… so Ixx is in fact Iaa?

Thanks for taking the time to read this and I hope that question is clear.

Cheers Steve.

Physics news on Phys.org
When using the parallel axis theorem for determining the 2nd moment of area with respect to the axis passing horizontally through its cg, use the I of the rectangles about their own cg's. These are all of the form bh^3/12. To this number, you must add the products of the individual rectangle areas times their distance^2 from their own cg to the member cg

Thanks for your reply.

I've taken on board what you have said and I think I'm getting it now.

1. What is the definition of "second moment of area"?

The second moment of area, also known as moment of inertia, is a property of a cross-sectional shape that measures the resistance of an object to bending.

2. How is the second moment of area calculated for a simply supported regular I beam?

The second moment of area for a simply supported regular I beam is calculated by multiplying the width and height of the cross-sectional shape, and then dividing by 12.

3. What are the units for the second moment of area?

The units for the second moment of area are length to the fourth power, such as inches to the fourth power or meters to the fourth power.

4. How does the second moment of area affect the strength of a simply supported regular I beam?

The larger the second moment of area, the more resistant the beam is to bending and therefore the stronger it is.

5. Can the second moment of area be used to compare the strength of different cross-sectional shapes?

Yes, the second moment of area can be used to compare the strength of different cross-sectional shapes as it takes into account the distribution of material around the object's neutral axis.