Register to reply

Direction of a moment

by paddles069
Tags: direction, moment
Share this thread:
paddles069
Jun4-11, 07:59 PM
P: 4
Hi all, please view the file I have attached which contains the diagram of the question. The picture is a cross section of a cantilever beam in which a force is applied downwards at the tip of the beam, as shown in the upper diagram. The solutions then conclude that the moment is acting in a perpendicular direction to the force, as shown in the bottom diagram. Why is this?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Moment.png  
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
NASA team lays plans to observe new worlds
IHEP in China has ambitions for Higgs factory
Spinach could lead to alternative energy more powerful than Popeye
SteamKing
Jun4-11, 09:05 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 6,274
Think about what the vector r x F means in terms of its components.

As a memory aid: i j k | i j which means: i X j = k; j x k = i; k x i = j
got a right-hand coordinate system.
Jupiter6
Jun5-11, 04:25 AM
P: 128
That moment has nothing to do with that force. That looks like half of an illustration to draw stress squares and Mohr's circles. Where did you get that? What is it supposed to mean?

nvn
Jun5-11, 11:34 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,121
Direction of a moment

Quote Quote by paddles069 View Post
The solutions then conclude that the moment is acting in a perpendicular direction to the force, as shown in the bottom diagram. Why is this?
paddles069: The 10 kN force is applied at the cantilever tip, 10 m from the fixed support. Therefore, the bending moment at the fixed support is M = (10 m)*(10 kN) = 100 000 N*m, which is a twisting force about (around) an axis perpendicular to the applied force, and perpendicular to the moment arm.

By the way, straight moment vectors should always be drawn with a double arrowhead (not a single arrowhead). However, if the moment vector is normal to the page, then the moment symbol should be drawn curved, with a single arrowhead.

Register to reply