Solving a Moment Vector Direction Problem: An Example from Statics Textbook

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of adding a couple moment to move a force to a point not on the line of action. The speaker is having trouble understanding the direction of the couple moment in an example shown in their statics textbook. They compare it to a previous example where they were able to understand the concept. They also mention that the drawing in the textbook is poorly constructed and may not accurately represent the directions of the vectors.
mhrob24
Homework Statement
Moving a force to a point not on the line of action
Relevant Equations
M = FD
This isn’t a HW problem per say, but it’s an example shown in my statics textbook that is used to try an explain that you need to add a couple moment to move a force to a point not on the line of action, and I’m just not seeing how the direction of the couple moment is correct. See the image below:

62875A0F-7B49-4756-9F57-3C4D46B025B1.jpeg

Using the RHR (extending r1 and crossing into F1)and adding an opposite pair of forces at the point you are moving the force to (point “O”), the direction of the moment vector to me looks like it should be pointing to the left (into page, clockwise moment)….but the book is showing the opposite. The only way I see that moment vector direction being correct is if -F is applied What am I not seeing here? I feel like I understand the concept, but this specific example is tripping me up.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is the preceding example given, and this makes 100% sense to me. You add equal and opposite forces to the point you are moving the force to, and you still end up with an equivalent system: a downward force and a clockwise couple moment. So I know I get it….I just don’t know what I’m not seeing in the other example they give.

0C67DD8D-2F94-45A5-B19B-64EAF1C17B34.jpeg

Drawing (a) is poorly constructed and it seems that the directions of the vector moments have little to do with that tridimensional representation.
Those r's and F's must be perpendicular to each other for Mo=rxF.

1. What is a moment vector direction problem?

A moment vector direction problem is a type of problem commonly encountered in the field of statics, which deals with the study of objects at rest. It involves determining the direction of a moment vector, which is a mathematical representation of the tendency of a force to cause rotation around an axis.

2. How do you solve a moment vector direction problem?

To solve a moment vector direction problem, you need to first identify the point at which the moment is acting, as well as the direction and magnitude of the force causing the moment. Then, you can use the right-hand rule to determine the direction of the moment vector. Finally, you can apply the principles of vector addition and subtraction to calculate the net moment vector.

3. What are some common examples of moment vector direction problems?

Some common examples of moment vector direction problems include calculating the moment of a force acting on a lever, determining the torque of a motor, and analyzing the stability of a structure under various loads.

4. What are the key principles involved in solving a moment vector direction problem?

The key principles involved in solving a moment vector direction problem include understanding the concept of a moment vector, knowing how to apply the right-hand rule, and being familiar with vector addition and subtraction. It is also important to have a good understanding of the physical properties of the system being analyzed, such as the location of the center of mass and the distribution of forces.

5. How can solving moment vector direction problems be useful in real-world applications?

Solving moment vector direction problems is crucial in many real-world applications, such as designing structures, analyzing the stability of machines, and predicting the behavior of objects under different loads. It is also an important skill for engineers and scientists working in fields such as mechanics, physics, and civil engineering.