Register to reply

Celestial Objects Catalog

by e2m2a
Tags: catalog, celestial, objects
Share this thread:
e2m2a
Jun4-11, 10:35 PM
P: 161
Does anyone know some good websites that give the equatorial coordinates of celestial objects: double stars, nebulae, clusters, galaxies,planets,etc.? Especially any that allow you to first pick the object. For example, I put in the Andromeda galaxy and it tells me its equatorial coordinates.

Thanks in advance.
Phys.Org News Partner Astronomy news on Phys.org
Image: Chandra's view of the Tycho Supernova remnant
Bright like a diamond: lasers and compressed carbon recreate Jupiter's core
New mass map of a distant galaxy cluster is the most precise yet
ideasrule
Jun5-11, 03:26 AM
HW Helper
P: 2,323
Wikipedia is pretty good for this IMO. Otherwise, a Google search will usually find the coordinates very quickly. Is there a particular reason you want the data to be on a single website?
e2m2a
Jun6-11, 12:19 PM
Quote Quote by ideasrule View Post
Is there a particular reason you want the data to be on a single website?
Convenience. Much easier to go to just one website to get a general catalog than having to go to multiple sites to look up different celestial objects.

But then I guess I could create a favorite folder where I put every website in.

Thanks for the info.

phyzguy
Jun6-11, 12:53 PM
P: 2,179
Celestial Objects Catalog

There's a program called Starry Night ( with a free open-source counterpart called Stellarium). They show you a map of the night sky at a given time and place. You can put the cursor on an object to get its coords, or search on an object. They are both pretty nice programs.
e2m2a
Jun6-11, 07:42 PM
Quote Quote by phyzguy View Post
There's a program called Starry Night ( with a free open-source counterpart called Stellarium). They show you a map of the night sky at a given time and place. You can put the cursor on an object to get its coords, or search on an object. They are both pretty nice programs.
Thanks for the info.

Warning!!!! Just went to the Night Sky website and my Avast software detected and blocked a virus!

Register to reply