Register to reply

Angular momentum and its conservation

Share this thread:
tsopatsopa
Jun12-11, 09:11 PM
P: 4
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
Check out the attached image. A is a fixed axis.
An impulsive force P =FΔT is given to the rod from a distance x. As a reaction to that, an impulsive force PA =FA ΔT is transmitted to A.

The rod has a length l and mass M.

2. Relevant equations
a. Velocity v of the center of mass G just after the collision. (express in function of P, PA and M )
b. The value of the impulsive force PA (express in function of l, x and P)

3. The attempt at a solution
a. I think the center of mass is supposed to translate just after the collision.
According to the law of the translating motion:
[itex]\sum external forces[/itex] = change in momentum.
So, I did P = PA + Mv
And I can get v from that. (Am I right here?)
What I don't know is: The axis A is fixed ===> The center of mass IS NOT SUPPOSED TO TRANSLATE but ROTATE. If I am thinking of using the angular momentum stuff, I will get a new variable: l (length of the rod). However the question asked if to express v in function of P, PA and M and l is not mentioned.

b. NO IDEA.
I was thinking of using the angular momentum and apply its conservation but if I call the angular momentum, I will get a new variable M (mass of the rod) which is not asked to use to express PA

Looking forward for your help.
Tsopa,
Japan :D
Attached Thumbnails
photo.JPG  
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Physical constant is constant even in strong gravitational fields
Montreal VR headset team turns to crowdfunding for Totem
Researchers study vital 'on/off switches' that control when bacteria turn deadly
tsopatsopa
Jun12-11, 09:23 PM
P: 4
SORRY, I accidentally put the question in the "relevant equations" paragraph (I thought it was "relevant questions" not "equations" lol)
The questions are:

a. Express the velocity v of the center of mass G just after the collision. (express in function of P, PA and M )
b. Find the value of the impulsive force PA (express in function of l, x and P)

Register to reply