Conservation of angular momentum under central forces

In summary, the conversation discusses the conservation of angular momentum under central forces and the difficulty in showing the constancy of both angular and linear momentum. The calculation of radial and total linear momentum is also mentioned, with a correction made to consider tangential velocity. It is noted that the two components are perpendicular to each other and cannot be simply added as scalars.
Saptarshi Sarkar
Homework Statement
If a particle moves outward in a plane along a curved trajectory described by ##r=a\theta##, where ##\theta=\omega t##, where ##a## and ##\omega## are constants, then its

a) kinetic energy is conserved
b) angular momentum is conserved
c) total momentum is conserved
d) radial momentum is conserved
Relevant Equations
##p=m\dot r##
##L=mr^2\dot \theta##
I know that the force must be a central force and that under central forces, angular momentum is conserved. But I am unable to mathematically show if the angular and linear momentum are constants.

Radial Momentum
##p=m\dot r = ma\dot \theta=ma\omega##

Angular Momentum
##L=mr^2\dot\theta = ma^2\omega^3 t^2##

I am not sure if I am supposed to use the chain rule here, but I am getting a conserved linear momentum but a time-dependent angular momentum.

Physics news on Phys.org
Saptarshi Sarkar said:
##p=m\dot r = ma\dot \theta=ma\omega##

Angular Momentum
##L=mr^2\dot\theta = ma^2\omega^3 t^2##

I am not sure if I am supposed to use the chain rule here, but I am getting a conserved linear momentum but a time-dependent angular momentum.
Isn't that the answer for ##L##?

For the other part, are you looking for radial momentum or total linear momentum?

PeroK said:
Isn't that the answer for ##L##?

For the other part, are you looking for radial momentum or total linear momentum?

I was thinking that the angular momentum must be independent of time as it looks like a trajectory under a central force. Is it not true?

For the other part, I did a mistake. Thanks for pointing it out. I need to consider the tangential velocity as well.

Total linear momentum = ##p_{\text{tot}}=m(\dot r+r\dot\theta )=m(a\omega + a\omega^2 t)##

So, d should be the answer?

Saptarshi Sarkar said:
I was thinking that the angular momentum must be independent of time as it looks like a trajectory under a central force. Is it not true?

For the other part, I did a mistake. Thanks for pointing it out. I need to consider the tangential velocity as well.

Total linear momentum = ##p_{\text{tot}}=m(\dot r+r\dot\theta )=m(a\omega + a\omega^2 t)##

So, d should be the answer?
Yes. It's not a central force. You can calculate the acceleration if you want to. It won't be in the radial direction.

Likes Saptarshi Sarkar
Saptarshi Sarkar said:
The two components are perpendicular to each other. You can't just add them together as scalars.

Likes PhDeezNutz

1. What is conservation of angular momentum under central forces?

Conservation of angular momentum under central forces is a fundamental law of physics that states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant when no external torque is acting on the system. In simpler terms, this means that the rotation of an object will not change unless an external force is applied.

2. What is a central force?

A central force is a type of force that acts on an object towards or away from a fixed point, known as the center of force. Examples of central forces include gravity, electrostatic forces, and magnetic forces.

3. How does conservation of angular momentum under central forces apply to orbital motion?

In orbital motion, a central force, such as gravity, acts between two objects. According to the law of conservation of angular momentum, the total angular momentum of the system (the two objects) will remain constant as they orbit each other. This explains why planets and satellites maintain a constant speed and distance from the object they are orbiting.

4. Can conservation of angular momentum under central forces be violated?

No, conservation of angular momentum under central forces is a fundamental law of physics and cannot be violated. It has been extensively tested and has been found to hold true in all observed cases.

5. How is conservation of angular momentum under central forces related to Newton's laws of motion?

Conservation of angular momentum under central forces is a consequence of Newton's laws of motion, specifically the law of conservation of momentum. It can be derived from Newton's second law, which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to the rate of change of its momentum. In the case of central forces, the net force is zero, therefore the momentum (and angular momentum) remains constant.