Register to reply

When p(A)=0 iff p(B)=0 for any polynomial,why same minimal polynomial?

by td21
Tags: minimal, polynomial
Share this thread:
td21
Jun13-11, 02:00 AM
P: 104
For two matrices A and B, when p(A)=0 iff p(B)=0 for any polynomial, what will happen? i read that A and B have the same minimal polynomial, why?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists discover RNA modifications in some unexpected places
Scientists discover tropical tree microbiome in Panama
'Squid skin' metamaterials project yields vivid color display
zoek
Jun13-11, 07:57 AM
P: 4
Quote Quote by td21 View Post
For two matrices A and B, when p(A)=0 iff p(B)=0 for any polynomial, what will happen? i read that A and B have the same minimal polynomial, why?
Let [tex]m_A, m_B[/tex] be the minimal polynimials of A and B. Then [tex]m_A (A) = 0\Rightarrow m_A (B) = 0 \Rightarrow m_B / m_A^{(1)}[/tex]
and
[tex]m_B (B) = 0\Rightarrow m_B (B) = 0 \Rightarrow m_A / m_B ^{(2)}[/tex]
[tex]\overset {(1), (2)}{\Rightarrow} m_A = k \cdot m_B[/tex]
with k a constant.
But [tex]m_A, m_B[/tex] are both monic polynomials so, [tex]k=1[/tex]
and finally [tex]m_A = m_B.[/tex]
HallsofIvy
Jun13-11, 02:13 PM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,682
Pretty much the same thing but in slightly differentwords:

Suppose PA(x), of degree n, is the minimal polynomial for A. Then PA(A)= 0 so PA(B)= 0. If This is not the minimal polynomial for B, there exist a polynomial PB, of degree m< n, such that PB(A)= 0. But then PB(A)= 0 contradicting the fact that the mininal polynomial of A has degree n> m.

Register to reply